Touring bike - what should it look like?! *urgent*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
pedaling said:
If this is 20 inches and for 5"4 and over, I'm guessing a 19 inches should be good then?

That's pretty... Can't help you with the size issue, that's one of my blind spots - I would just say though: (I know you highlighted that one for size, but it reminded me)

A ladies frame is ok, but you don't need it unless you wear a skirt a lot, or you have trouble with your hip to make swinging your leg over difficult*. A ladies frame will be more 'flexible' (IE slightly less efficient).

If you get a bike with brake levers like that, DON'T use the handles that run along the tops of the bars. They are known as 'suicide' levers, and often don't work well, requiring a lot of pull for little braking. If you can, take them off. You can get a modern lever arrangement that fits into the cable run in that position, works much better. (It is handy to have brakes to hand there, for when you are not on the drops (right down) or the hoods (hands resting on the brake lever housings) but those old levers can't really be relied on.)

*I was once in town with my Galaxy (male frame) and an old chap came up as I was unlocking it and said "Is that your bike?" I said yes, and he said, "But how do you get... " and paused embarrassed as he realised he was about to say 'your leg over?'. I swung my leg over the saddle, said "like this!" and rode off. I think he really thought ladies were incapable of that sort of action...

OP
OP
P

pedaling

Yep, pretty is what I thought. I think I ought to change my methods for choosing bikes to be a bit more practical :biggrin:

Don't have any hip problems - I used to ride a fair bit (horse riding, I mean) and I hike and run at the moment so all is good. I'm fairly mobile/ flexible! Like the anecdote - I can imagine that!

Thanks for the info on the brakes. Something to think about. I suspect that bike would be too big for me anyway though.

Arch said:
That's pretty... Can't help you with the size issue, that's one of my blind spots - I would just say though: (I know you highlighted that one for size, but it reminded me)

A ladies frame is ok, but you don't need it unless you wear a skirt a lot, or you have trouble with your hip to make swinging your leg over difficult*. A ladies frame will be more 'flexible' (IE slightly less efficient).

If you get a bike with brake levers like that, DON'T use the handles that run along the tops of the bars. They are known as 'suicide' levers, and often don't work well, requiring a lot of pull for little braking. If you can, take them off. You can get a modern lever arrangement that fits into the cable run in that position, works much better. (It is handy to have brakes to hand there, for when you are not on the drops (right down) or the hoods (hands resting on the brake lever housings) but those old levers can't really be relied on.)

*I was once in town with my Galaxy (male frame) and an old chap came up as I was unlocking it and said "Is that your bike?" I said yes, and he said, "But how do you get... " and paused embarrassed as he realised he was about to say 'your leg over?'. I swung my leg over the saddle, said "like this!" and rode off. I think he really thought ladies were incapable of that sort of action...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Suicide levers were quite common for a while, so a second hand bike with drops may well have them - just thought it best to warn you....

I always like to think of the old chap in my story wandering off muttering about 'modern gals' or something... That's another one of those things people don't properly think about - the assumption is that ladies need a special frame, when these days, so many of us never wear skirts! Dear god, we'll be voting next...

pedaling said:
You think it's okay getting a hybrid then? I think touring bikes look better, but maybe that's just me! Hybrid seems a bit like mountain bike made to take luggage from my POV!

Sorry, thought that was a different bike, didn't look properly.

Randochap

Senior hunter
montage said:
Some of the old "racers" are far more forgiving, due to their geomatry + steel makeup. Some of their positions are aggressive, but some of them have less aggressive positions, making is perfectly possible to make them into touring bikes.

That's right. "Racing bikes" mass-marketed in from 60s through 80s were mostly long-wheelbase bikes with roomy rear triangles and had medium-reach caliper brakes that could accommodate tyres up to 38mm or so.

They were, in fact, what we would distinguish today as touring or sport-touring bikes.

My old Nishiki Landau is a perfect example (see it on "My Bikes" page). It was their top of the line "racer." I toured and commuted on it for more than 20 years.

See the VeloWeb Touring Bikes page for advice on suitable bikes for touring and the new Bike Fit page for sizing and fitting advice.

OP
OP
P

pedaling

Reviving thread again...

Would this potentially be okay? I don't understand what size 52cm means heightwise? I am 5"3, inside leg roughly 28"...

There are some developments on the who-is-going-with-me-or-not front - one of my friends, who is Dutch, a guy, and has worked in bike shops (triple yay) might be coming with me. In which case I would not only have a great time (since he is as lovely as they get) but not have to worry too much about repairs since he could sort it out...

Not sure I'll be going for as long as planned now though. Looks like I might be going to visit someone abroad for several weeks/ possible months. BUT might want to take my bike there for day trips etc.

Or this? But maybe a bit small for me?

montage

God Almighty
pedaling said:
Reviving thread again...

Would this potentially be okay? I don't understand what size 52cm means heightwise? I am 5"3, inside leg roughly 28"...

There are some developments on the who-is-going-with-me-or-not front - one of my friends, who is Dutch, a guy, and has worked in bike shops (triple yay) might be coming with me. In which case I would not only have a great time (since he is as lovely as they get) but not have to worry too much about repairs since he could sort it out...

quote]

BUT is he good looking enough?

Not that that would have anything to do with it....... of course..... ok I'm leaving

montage

God Almighty
the first bike you linked looks good :o) it is what I meant by "racer" .... aslong as the gears are easy enough then I would be very tempted!

OP
OP
P

pedaling

montage said:
the first bike you linked looks good ;) it is what I meant by "racer" .... aslong as the gears are easy enough then I would be very tempted!

Asked the person selling more about it and they said they don't reckon it'll stand up to what I want...

So...

Have been looking at a few more, although I am beginning to think maybe it is not a good idea at all buying on ebay, since if I haven't tried it, how do I know it's comfy/ fits okay? And what if it is fake/ something not working and I don't notice?

Is there an easy way to work out if it's the right height? I've seen all the photos etc and diagrams but there does not seem to be an easy way...

Raleigh Randonneur

Trek Hybrid

Falcon Bike

Pedaling that Randoneur is gorgeous, it should fit you too. The first one you linked to is not so great, the Trek is a good bike and the Falcon is OK but not great.

I think the Randoneur will be friction shift i.e. not indexed but that's what I rode for years with no problems. I doubt it would be economical to think about STI's but you could ride that as it is.

Bid on the Trek and Randonneur.

OP
OP
P

pedaling

Crackle said:
Pedaling that Randoneur is gorgeous, it should fit you too. The first one you linked to is not so great, the Trek is a good bike and the Falcon is OK but not great.

I think the Randoneur will be friction shift i.e. not indexed but that's what I rode for years with no problems. I doubt it would be economical to think about STI's but you could ride that as it is.

Bid on the Trek and Randonneur.

What are STI's when we're talking about bikes?

Thanks for the advice. Yes, Randonneur looks very pretty, doesn't it! I just worry - I mean, shoot, what if it's too big? Back on ebay I guess.

You think Randonneur over Trek? I do, but that's just because I think the Randonneur looks better and I don't really like the design of hybrids... but then again I ride some kind of weird mountain bike atm, so who am I to talk!

STI's are the brakes with the gear lever incorporated as well aka

ssbhay9f.jpg

They are indexed like you mtn bike gears, so one click is one gear. Friction shifters are not. You move the lever back until it changes gear, much more feel involved and changing into the gear you need in advance is recommended as they don't change as well under pedaling pressure (no pun intended ;)).

The Randoneur is not just nice it's gorgeous. The Trek is good too, despite it being a flat bar hybrid it's much more road than mtn in it's geometry.

Size: Well I ride the same size bike now and I have a 29inch inside leg and relatively short arms in conjunction to my body, sort of an inverted Gibbon. You being female, you probably have longer arms and legs in proportion to your trunk, therefore I'd say it will fit.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've had a bike with friction shifting (it was indexed, but that went wrong and it was one of the shofters where you could turn it to friction), and I really enjoyed the 'feeling it into gear' - in practice you actually learn to self-index, knowing just how much to shift.

Just looked at the links and yes, that randonneur is lovely!

OP
OP
P

pedaling

Thanks for all the advice. I see what you mean. Sure I'd adapt to whichever gears, if that's the only option!

I got the raleigh out again in hope and moved the seat to where it would need to be for it to feel comfortable... and I measured it too...

From the crank (the middle bit, where the pedal is attached) to the top of my saddle is approximately 24.5" and from crank to bottom of saddle is 22"... Maybe that gives you some idea? This is with my tiptoes just touching the floor, but I prefer this to feeling 'squished' on a bike.

To do this I had to move the seatpost way past the minimum level though, so it's just to try it out! I'm not sure if I got a new headset it might be okay? Or maybe it's still a bit small for my arms? I'm not sure.

Do you mind me asking btw, what would be your tops for that randonneur?
raleighbikeseatup001.jpg

Top Bottom