Touring bike - what should it look like?! *urgent*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I can't give you a top price for the bike - my top price for anything just now is a fiver due to budgetary constraints. I think I'd have to say, have a top budget in mind and don't go beyond that, and certainly watch out you don't end up paying for secondhand, the sort of money that might get you something adequate new...

And I'm hopeless with bike sizing, sorry!

Someone else will be more helpful...

pedaling said:
From the crank (the middle bit, where the pedal is attached) to the top of my saddle is approximately 24.5" and from crank to bottom of saddle is 22"... Maybe that gives you some idea? This is with my tiptoes just touching the floor, but I prefer this to feeling 'squished' on a bike.

OK I'm not quite sure if that measurement is valid but if we use it as a rough indicator then my own saddle height is a couple of inches below my inside leg. When I'm on the seat I can't put my feet, even my tippy toes, on the floor without leaning the bike. If you can then that seat is too low.

As an oft used rough guide, when sitting on the seat you should be able to rest your heel on the pedal with the pedal at it's lowest position and your leg should be straight. If you do this and it's bent, the saddle is too low.

Now that Randoneur frame is 20.5 inches. With your inside leg the seat post will still have an inch or two adjustment in it with that saddle. Choose a different saddle profile and you might gain another inch. So, it will fit you I think but it's at the top end of your range but then most bikes of that style will be.

I'd like to know how you go with that test above and I just need to check the stand over height on my bike, even if you can ride the Randoneur, if you can't stand over it it won't do you.

Take a look at the Trek and note how the top tube slopes down at the back, this both makes the standover height lower and gives more adjustment on the seat height.

Some more input on size from others wouldn't go amiss just now.

Pedaling, reluctantly, after checking mine I have to say I think it's slightly too big for you. I think standover height is the issue. Also turns out on my bike I can just tippy toes the ground from the seat with a slight lean.

That Trek is not too far from you though is it? Why don't you go and see it.

Top Bottom