Touring bike - what should it look like?! *urgent*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pedaling

Am looking at a bike off freecycle soon (very soon!). Person thinks it is a touring bike but isn't sure (I think so as was originally bought for a cycling holiday.)

What should I look out for? I'm guessing no suspension, drop handlebars, capacity for mudguards and panniers/ racks?

Thanks massively!

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
A traditional tourer would be something like a Dawes Galaxy.

Steel frame, drop bars, full mudguards, rear pannier rack etc...

700c wheels and 25-28mm tyres.

There are many bikes that will have an MTB type frame with 700c wheels, panniers and mudguards like the Raleigh Pioneer. These MTB tourers can have fixed or suspension forks.

At the least you want full mudguards and a rack for touring.

OP
OP
P

pedaling

Thanks for the advice - it isn't a tourer I don't think.

It is a peugeot bike. I think it is a shopper type bike? She said she has changed the handlebars (they used to be drop down) and the seat (it used to be a very thin one.)

Bearing in mind I only have a MTB, might be worth me getting for small town trips at least? What do you think?

(Is there an easy way of putting pics on here without having an url?)

OP
OP
P

pedaling

artandbike1065.jpg
artandbike1062.jpg
artandbike1062.jpg
Is this bike okay/ easy to make rideable or is it not worth bothering with?
artandbike1067.jpg
artandbike1063.jpg

Attachments

• artandbike1062.jpg
    artandbike1062.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
P

pedaling

Apparently it's only been used for a week on a cycling holiday, after which the person decided they hated cycling. Since then it's been used a couple of times and the tyres punctured, but nothing since. Max a few weeks riding according to the owner...

Well, er, any advice? Yay or nay?

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Looks like a ladies 10 speed bike.

Would be OK for city use.

Needs a good fettle, a full service would be about 50 quid.

If it's free then it's cheaper than a new one.

OP
OP
P

pedaling

Alembicbassman said:
Looks like a ladies 10 speed bike.

Would be OK for city use.

Needs a good fettle, a full service would be about 50 quid.

If it's free then it's cheaper than a new one.

Yeh, it's completely free, and like I say, all I've got at the moment is a MTB. Would you change the handlebars to drop down again? Wouldn't I need to buy new tyres on top of service as well?

Randochap

Senior hunter
Are you looking for a bike to ride, or a project?

This is a "project." It will cost more to "restore" than buying a better, newer bike. It has steel rims = won't stop in wet, ancient 5-sp freewheel, no proper derailleur hanger. Etc., etc., etc.

Again, do some research. VeloWeb is a good place to start.

OP
OP
P

pedaling

Randochap said:
Are you looking for a bike to ride, or a project?

This is a "project." It will cost more to "restore" than buying a better, newer bike. It has steel rims = won't stop in wet, ancient 5-sp freewheel, no proper derailleur hanger. Etc., etc., etc.

Again, do some research. VeloWeb is a good place to start.

A bike to ride. I don't know how to repair bikes (yet) so a project would just be more hassle. Not just the £50 the other guy reckoned earlier on in the thread then?

jimboalee

Don't bother with it.
If you're not a bike mechanic, you will get in all sort of problems trying to upgrade a Pug.

Peugeot did all sorts of strange things with thread sizes. Some parts will be obselete. Especially the headset.

What size is the frame?

I'm searching for a 18 or 19" ladies bike.

Top Bottom