Touring bike - what should it look like?! *urgent*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

pedaling

jimboalee said:
Don't bother with it.
If you're not a bike mechanic, you will get in all sort of problems trying to upgrade a Pug.

Peugeot did all sorts of strange things with thread sizes. Some parts will be obselete. Especially the headset.

What size is the frame?

I'm searching for a 18 or 19" ladies bike.

I have no idea what size it is. For someone small, I know. The lady who had it is about 5" and I'm 5"3 so I gathered it would be okay for me (she had the seat down really low.)

OP
OP
P

pedaling

Don't know whether it's a decent bike/ what it's worth paying, but this looks nice http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAWES-GALAXY-...14&_trkparms=72:1688|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

My first bike was that kind of colour!

OP
OP
P

pedaling

Just been on the phone to bike shop about touring bikes. Apparently because I'm small I'm going to struggle getting a women's touring bike/ having much choice?!

The person I spoke to recommended keeping my MTB and using that for touring. My MTB is made by Giant, got front suspension (maybe this is a problem?), was about £300/350 ish when I bought it about 7/8 years ago.

What do you reckon? Obviously this would mean less cost, which would be nice, but would it be less comfortable, not having drop handlebars? As I've never tried drop handlebars so it's difficult for me to try to make a comparison.

I'm planning on doing a Europe trip. I'm not sure for how long, or where exactly, tho I suspect it will include at least France/ Germany/ Switzerland as I've already got friends and family there. That's if I don't end up hating cycle touring (highly doubt I will tho!)

OP
OP
P

pedaling

Paulus said:
As it is free, why not take it and give it a bit of TLC. The chain needs a bit of work as it rusty, but the tyres may be Ok but change the tubes as they are punctured. If you want to change the bars back to drops at a later date then so be it.

I suppose it would be good to practise my repair skills on at least. ;)

What do you do with rusty things? Replace them all? I guess if it's too much of a project I can just put it back on freecycle.

What do you think about taking the MTB touring?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
If you are prepared to do the work yourself, why not take it anyway and with a bit of TLC, the chain is as rusty as can be, it could be a reasonable bike to go down the shops on or the pub. I noticed that this bike has a 5 speed freewheel at the back, so it is probably only a ten speed, most tourers will have around 24-27 gears so it would make it a lot easier to tour fully loaded.

OP
OP
P

pedaling

Paulus said:
If you are prepared to do the work yourself, why not take it anyway and with a bit of TLC, the chain is as rusty as can be, it could be a reasonable bike to go down the shops on or the pub. I noticed that this bike has a 5 speed freewheel at the back, so it is probably only a ten speed, most tourers will have around 24-27 gears so it would make it a lot easier to tour fully loaded.

Oh, so you mean take it with the idea of maybe using it for touring?

What about converting the MTB, as the shop guy suggested?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi Pedaling

Could you put a couple of pics of your MTB into this thread? (particularly the forks) Might be a better option to semi-convert it by changing a few simple bits. Could be a functional bike for use touring and probably comfy too? I don't think I would touch that Pug...

Cheers,
SD

Arch

Married to Night Train
pedaling said:
What do you reckon? Obviously this would mean less cost, which would be nice, but would it be less comfortable, not having drop handlebars? As I've never tried drop handlebars so it's difficult for me to try to make a comparison.

You don't have to have drop bars to tour. In fact my tourer had drop bars and I changed them - I found that I never used the drop bits, and that normal bars (the slightly bent upwards ones, not dead flat) are more comfortable, for me, esp with bar ends to change position on. What matters is what you find comfortable over the sort of distance you intend to do, combined with practicality (things like having a rack)

The Pug looks like just the thing for taking into town, as a less-attractive-to-thieves hack. If you set out to make it special, you could spend a fortune, but unless it's seriously knackered, then it might be fine for short hops, and if it's free, it's free. Even if you only ride it until it dies, you'll not have lost out. Of course, a bit of servicing never goes amiss. Indeed, it might be a good way to learn how to do a good service/little maintenance jobs, on a bike that doesn't matter if you cock up.

OP
OP
P

pedaling

mountainbike001.jpg
So here is my mountain bike. You can spot my hiking boots in the background... because I hike/ walk and also run I have baselayers and all that which should be quite helpful for my cycling trip :smile: What do you reckon of this then?
mountainbike005.jpg

OP
OP
P

pedaling

Sittingduck said:
Hi Pedaling

Could you put a couple of pics of your MTB into this thread? (particularly the forks) Might be a better option to semi-convert it by changing a few simple bits. Could be a functional bike for use touring and probably comfy too? I don't think I would touch that Pug...

Cheers,
SD

What are the forks? (You see, I really don't have a clue about bikes...) You can see my pics now. Let me know if you need closer up/ to see parts specifically.

There was a recent thread from someone asking about touring on a mtn bike. I think you can, if you change a few things, it's not ideal but if you don't plan huge mileages and are doing a fairly relaxed tour you can do it. You'll need slick tyres rather than knobblies, a crudcatcher type mudguard and a seat rack for your panniers. That should do you for a one-off tour but if you want to do more tours or longer mileage, you need a different bike. Unless you want a project, leave the pug.

OP
OP
P

pedaling

Crackle said:
There was a recent thread from someone asking about touring on a mtn bike. I think you can, if you change a few things, it's not ideal but if you don't plan huge mileages and are doing a fairly relaxed tour you can do it. You'll need slick tyres rather than knobblies, a crudcatcher type mudguard and a seat rack for your panniers. That should do you for a one-off tour but if you want to do more tours or longer mileage, you need a different bike. Unless you want a project, leave the pug.

I'm planning on going for several weeks - maybe up two months or longer, around different countries in Europe.

Found a few threads on converting but I'm not sure how much MTBs differ so I couldn't garner that much from them.

I have mudguards on it but they're not very good. I asked in a shop though and apparently other types won't fit on my bike very well?

Do you know what kind of daily mileage you will do, how much you'll be carrying i.e B&B or camping. When are you going and do you have a budget for a new bike?

Top Bottom