Touring bike - what should it look like?! *urgent*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

pedaling

Crackle said:
Do you know what kind of daily mileage you will do, how much you'll be carrying i.e B&B or camping. When are you going and do you have a budget for a new bike?

No idea, most I've ever done on a bike before is about 16 miles in one day. Don't know how much I'll be carrying but camping is likely. Planning on staying with family and friends too and also a bit of couchsurfing. I know it seems a bit ridiculous to just up and go without any real plans but that's exactly what appeals about it.

Will be going once my exams are over, so from the end of June. I have until end of September. I don't really have a budget but I do have some money saved up so could buy a new bike if necessary.

I decided to get that other freecycle bike by the way - will be good for practise, if nothing else.

I exercise regularly, as I've mentioned, so overall my fitness isn't that bad.

See in an ideal world I wouldn't take the Giant but look for something 2nd hand, like this. Read Randochaps link and you'll see that this is much closer to the mark than the Giant.

You could take the Giant though. If you plan to ride 30-60 miles a day it will be OK but a lot harder work than a tourer. You'll need slick tyres, maybe a new seat and a rack. The rack worries me as I think the only type that will fit the bill is this, which limits you to 25lb/11.3Kg of luggage, which if you plan to camp is probably not enough unless you have some very lightweight gear.

OP
OP
P

pedaling

Crackle said:
See in an ideal world I wouldn't take the Giant but look for something 2nd hand, like this. Read Randochaps link and you'll see that this is much closer to the mark than the Giant.

You could take the Giant though. If you plan to ride 30-60 miles a day it will be OK but a lot harder work than a tourer. You'll need slick tyres, maybe a new seat and a rack. The rack worries me as I think the only type that will fit the bill is this, which limits you to 25lb/11.3Kg of luggage, which if you plan to camp is probably not enough unless you have some very lightweight gear.

Lightweight gear is stupidly expensive too... so maybe I'd be better with a proper touring bike. 30-60 miles isn't very much each day is it? I know I've not done it before, but I imagine after a few days I would be getting faster?

That bike looks nice. Thing is I'm quite small - according to bike shop it will be difficult to get a female touring bike for someone who's bordering on petite? (I have long legs and very short body though, so maybe not?)

Well, 60 miles at say 10mph is 6 hours in the saddle plus breaks. On a tour, with load you won't average much more than that unless of course you are a fit and fast cyclist, only you will know the answer to that.

Yes you can cycle yourself to fitness touring, it can be bit painful doing that but I've done it in the past.

For the bike keep an eye on e-bay and local classifieds, you've still got to some time. Put a wanted on here as well.

OP
OP
P

pedaling

Crackle said:
Well, 60 miles at say 10mph is 6 hours in the saddle plus breaks. On a tour, with load you won't average much more than that unless of course you are a fit and fast cyclist, only you will know the answer to that.

Yes you can cycle yourself to fitness touring, it can be bit painful doing that but I've done it in the past.

For the bike keep an eye on e-bay and local classifieds, you've still got to some time. Put a wanted on here as well.

Oh, okay. I'm not just planning on cycling - I want to do sightseeing, visit my friends and family etc too. Maybe do some cycling/ hiking with them, using their homes as a base for a bit.

If I get the bike before, then I will try to do some cycling. If not I'll just have to get on with it. I expect it will hurt and be a bit painful but most sport is at the beginning at least.

I don't really know what is a good bike or not though. Or what I should pay. Nor do I know if it will fit (legs/ body/ arm ratio maybe problematic - quite short arms.) Do you think I could get something decent for around £300?

pedaling said:
I don't really know what is a good bike or not though. Or what I should pay. Nor do I know if it will fit (legs/ body/ arm ratio maybe problematic - quite short arms.) Do you think I could get something decent for around £300?

£300 for a 2nd hand tourer should be fine. I'm not sure your LBS gave you good advice, I'd maybe ask elsewhere. 5' 3" is not so small and there should be plenty of bikes that will fit you. If you get the bike in good time then you should be able to make adjustments to it before you go. As for what's a good bike, run it by us when you come across one.

OP
OP
P

pedaling

Crackle said:
£300 for a 2nd hand tourer should be fine. I'm not sure your LBS gave you good advice, I'd maybe ask elsewhere. 5' 3" is not so small and there should be plenty of bikes that will fit you. If you get the bike in good time then you should be able to make adjustments to it before you go. As for what's a good bike, run it by us when you come across one.

It wasn't the shop I've ever used before, and I didn't go in, I just rang up. They were the ones who said that what I wanted - ie. a tourer which fits - was "problematic"! Haha. I think they wrote me off due to lack of concrete plans as well.

Will try the usual shop this weekend. I've tried having a look online for some but can't find anything very suitable round here, so expect LBS will be able to guide me a bit more. Thanks for the patient advice :laugh:

OP
OP
P

pedaling

I completely forgot about these bikes, but we also have a purple raleigh which I could try converting if it would be suitable? Here's a pic.
purplebike001.jpg

Bodhbh

Guru
At work and the pictures seem to be blocked, but depending on the state of it there's no reason you couldn't tour on the MTB. As long as it carries the load and is comfy to ride for long periods, no problem. Issues are I guess, whether it is cost effictive in time and money versus buying a fully racked-up 2nd hand tourer, and if you can lock-out the front suspension to stop it being a pain on the road.

There's a pretty neat guide to upgrading a MTB for touring here:

http://www.adventure-cycling-guide.co.uk/bike3.htm

Pedaling, the Raleigh looks far more suitable. The lack of suspension is a big bonus as well. You'd still need, new tyres, rack, mudguards, new seat and a service. I'd also consider clip on pedals or at the very least half toe clips. It looks in good condition.

Read the guide that bodhbh has linked to. You could use that, you will find it slower than a tourer, a bit harder work especially uphills but it does look usable. Here's one in touring/town guise, I think it looks the part: You've solved your problem.

2006_4793.jpg

Edit: Actually it's not quite the same might be a different model year but for all intents and purposes it's the same.

Where abouts are you?

A touring bike doesn't have to look like anything, you just need a bike you can feel comfy on. I've been touring on my Penny Farthing, recumbents and a so-called 'town bike'

We build bikes up for people from parts and do refurbished ones too. If the Peugeot is free, take it - there will be useful parts on it and we can get any part to refurbish it, no problem.

www.cyclemagic.org.uk

OP
OP
P

pedaling

Crackle said:
Pedaling, the Raleigh looks far more suitable. The lack of suspension is a big bonus as well. You'd still need, new tyres, rack, mudguards, new seat and a service. I'd also consider clip on pedals or at the very least half toe clips. It looks in good condition.

Read the guide that bodhbh has linked to. You could use that, you will find it slower than a tourer, a bit harder work especially uphills but it does look usable. Here's one in touring/town guise, I think it looks the part: You've solved your problem.

2006_4793.jpg

Edit: Actually it's not quite the same might be a different model year but for all intents and purposes it's the same.

The raleigh is in good condition and has hardly ever been used. I'd guess about 30 miles usage total! It's not been used like my mountain bike which has been dragged through mud and over hills etc. My mum used to have it but she doesn't use it at all - she doesn't like cycling really.

Yippeee :evil: I'm getting more and more excited thinking about this trip now!

OP
OP
P

pedaling

Hilldodger said:
Where abouts are you?

A touring bike doesn't have to look like anything, you just need a bike you can feel comfy on. I've been touring on my Penny Farthing, recumbents and a so-called 'town bike'

We build bikes up for people from parts and do refurbished ones too. If the Peugeot is free, take it - there will be useful parts on it and we can get any part to refurbish it, no problem.

www.cyclemagic.org.uk

I'm in south Manchester/ Cheshire. Do you know of anything like this in Manchester?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Just to point out, BTW, that even if a bike doesn't have the fixing points for a 'proper' rack, something can often be worked out with p-clips and a bit of thought. It's the sort of thing a proper bike wrangler should enjoy solving.

My Galaxy (found second hand at a Uni bike auction, for £15!), despite being about the right size for me leg wise, was still a bit of a stretch arm wise, so we swapped the stem for a shorter stump necked one (brings the bars closer to you), which solved the problem. So there are solutions to the problem of finding a perfect fit.

Like Crackle says, the Raleigh might do it - in fact those pedals might take a toeclip, which would save changing them (see if you can lever off one of the pedal reflectors - that's where you fit a toe clip. I have the half type (like toe caps) and they are fine for me. Can't quite see if it has a rack boss at the rear dropout, but it seems to have one at the seatpost end of the seat stays, which is hopeful.

OP
OP
P

pedaling

Arch said:
Just to point out, BTW, that even if a bike doesn't have the fixing points for a 'proper' rack, something can often be worked out with p-clips and a bit of thought. It's the sort of thing a proper bike wrangler should enjoy solving.

My Galaxy (found second hand at a Uni bike auction, for £15!), despite being about the right size for me leg wise, was still a bit of a stretch arm wise, so we swapped the stem for a shorter stump necked one (brings the bars closer to you), which solved the problem. So there are solutions to the problem of finding a perfect fit.

Like Crackle says, the Raleigh might do it - in fact those pedals might take a toeclip, which would save changing them (see if you can lever off one of the pedal reflectors - that's where you fit a toe clip. I have the half type (like toe caps) and they are fine for me. Can't quite see if it has a rack boss at the rear dropout, but it seems to have one at the seatpost end of the seat stays, which is hopeful.

Wow - must look at the bike auctions near me then!

I've been to the bike shop and got some good advice. They said a touring bike would be best, obviously, but they reckon the Raleigh should work quite well, once I get seat sorted, change tyres etc.

Do I need toeclips then? I don't know much about them.

They managed to convince me to try out some touring round here before I head off too...

Top Bottom