Touring bike - what should it look like?! *urgent*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
No you don't need toe clips, they will help to keep your feet in the correct position on the pedals, but if you don't want them, that's your choice. Any bike can be used for touring with a few alterations. As said before, you will need different tyres to the ones you have on the MTB, you will need mudguards and a rack. Other than that, if you are comfortable on the bike and the bike is in descent nick then that will do.

Arch

Married to Night Train
pedaling said:
Wow - must look at the bike auctions near me then!

I've been to the bike shop and got some good advice. They said a touring bike would be best, obviously, but they reckon the Raleigh should work quite well, once I get seat sorted, change tyres etc.

Do I need toeclips then? I don't know much about them.

They managed to convince me to try out some touring round here before I head off too...

Toeclips will help - if nothing else, they keep your feet in the optimum pedalling position and they also let you pull up a bit as well as pushing down all the time. I use them, mainly for the keeping my foot on the pedal reason.

The Galaxy was a bit of luck. It was a Uni auction, and all the students wanted MTBs, preferably with s'penshun, and in red. They were paying £50 or £60 for bikes that probably cost that new, and were total rust buckets. No one wanted a drop bar touring bike in lilac metallic paint, with white bar tape and a cross bar. My then BF picked it out, measured me against it, and bid - the only bid, £15. The auctioneer knew me, and made little effort to bump the price up further. We pumped up the tyres, and he rode it home (he wanted to be sure brakes and stuff worked). We stripped it down, resprayed it blue and silver, rebuilt it (that's where I learned most of the stuff I know now) and I rode it to Norfolk on my first solo tour.

9 years later and after a period of not being used, it's just been stripped again and powdercoated red, and I've lined the lugs gold, and it's going to look lovely when it's all fixed up again. I wish the BF was still here to see it.

But enough about me... The main thing is to have a bike you're comfortable with, as Roger said. And start off gently and work up the distances. At least if you're also planning sightseeing and stuff you can take days off when you fancy it. A touring holiday, afterall, is meant to be a holiday....;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Paulus said:
No you don't need toe clips, they will help to keep your feet in the correct position on the pedals, but if you don't want them, that's your choice. Any bike can be used for touring with a few alterations. As said before, you will need different tyres to the ones you have on the MTB, you will need mudguards and a rack. Other than that, if you are comfortable on the bike and the bike is in descent nick then that will do.

Sadly, it'll also have to be in ascent nick as well - for every freewheel, there's a climb first...;)

Randochap

Senior hunter
pedaling said:
They managed to convince me to try out some touring round here before I head off too...

You've stumbled upon some good advice there.

Sir Edmond Hillory didn't climb Everest before he done a bit of rambling in the Southern Alps.

BTW, your Raleigh has braze-ons for a rear rack, so that'll work, but the shop might have to install extensions on the rack, to clear the tyre and level it, b/c the frame is very small. Of course, switch out the tyres.

Do some reading. Again, might I suggest the touring pages I've put together on VeloWeb?

OP
OP
P

pedaling

Arch said:
Toeclips will help - if nothing else, they keep your feet in the optimum pedalling position and they also let you pull up a bit as well as pushing down all the time. I use them, mainly for the keeping my foot on the pedal reason.

The Galaxy was a bit of luck. It was a Uni auction, and all the students wanted MTBs, preferably with s'penshun, and in red. They were paying £50 or £60 for bikes that probably cost that new, and were total rust buckets. No one wanted a drop bar touring bike in lilac metallic paint, with white bar tape and a cross bar. My then BF picked it out, measured me against it, and bid - the only bid, £15. The auctioneer knew me, and made little effort to bump the price up further. We pumped up the tyres, and he rode it home (he wanted to be sure brakes and stuff worked). We stripped it down, resprayed it blue and silver, rebuilt it (that's where I learned most of the stuff I know now) and I rode it to Norfolk on my first solo tour.

9 years later and after a period of not being used, it's just been stripped again and powdercoated red, and I've lined the lugs gold, and it's going to look lovely when it's all fixed up again. I wish the BF was still here to see it.

But enough about me... The main thing is to have a bike you're comfortable with, as Roger said. And start off gently and work up the distances. At least if you're also planning sightseeing and stuff you can take days off when you fancy it. A touring holiday, afterall, is meant to be a holiday....;)

Yeh, that's true, I guess most students wouldn't want them.

I think you do need to go through that process of building/adapting bikes to really get an idea of what you're doing. What I find difficult is that I don't really have anyone to teach me very well (there are a few friends' dads, but I'm aware that they have quite busy jobs and I don't like to ask too much.) A BF who knows bikes would be helpful. The last one knew about as much as I did...

I've got the number of a policeman who sorts out the stolen bikes around here - apparently he's quite nice and sometimes manages to find what you're looking for, so I'm gonna give him a call tomorrow. May as well think positively - maybe, just maybe there's a gorgeous touring bike all set up and waiting for me...

Definitely want it to feel like a holiday - and visiting friends and family I expect it will! But I wanted the challenge of cycling - I've done flying and trains and I'd rather be outside, able to choose more what I want to do. That's the idea, anyway :sad:

Will check out more of this toeclips business...

OP
OP
P

pedaling

Randochap said:
You've stumbled upon some good advice there.

Sir Edmond Hillory didn't climb Everest before he done a bit of rambling in the Southern Alps.

BTW, your Raleigh has braze-ons for a rear rack, so that'll work, but the shop might have to install extensions on the rack, to clear the tyre and level it, b/c the frame is very small. Of course, switch out the tyres.

Do some reading. Again, might I suggest the touring pages I've put together on VeloWeb?

Yeh... I know I should really, but I tell myself that because I walk and run regularly it shouldn't be too difficult. My body will need to get used to cycling much further than I've done before. There's plenty of gorgeous places around Cheshire anyway - I'm in a good place for starting!

I have looked at VeloWeb - especially like the lit quotes! And I did find it helpful, but some bits I feel like I don't have the background/ don't know the terminology to understand all of it, if that makes sense...

Any idea on the best place to look for repairing the peugoet bike which I will soon be collecting? Or do you need more pics?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Re toeclips - I have the strapless sort, very easy to use, no trouble to get feet into and out of, but just make enough difference (even little things like being able to pull the pedal up to restart when you stop, rather than having to hook your foot under it)

Just playing about with/stripping a bike is a great way to learn. You can always get a book (one with lots of pictures) and try out a few of the basic service jobs. That would be a good use for that Peugeot...

One trick, when you're doing any job, is to take a step back and really look at the bike. Work out what goes where, and WHY. Make sure you know how something like the brakes works - follow the cable from one end to another. That way, when it's all in bits, and you can't remember how it fitted, you can work it out...;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
pedaling said:
Any idea on the best place to look for repairing the peugoet bike which I will soon be collecting? Or do you need more pics?

If you fancy trying DIY, then if you can find an old copy of Richard's Bicycle Book (by Richard Ballantine), it'll have some old time maintenance and repair tips. If you get a first edition, it'll also tell you how to kill dogs. They pop up quite often in charity shops, I find.

Otherwise, people generally recommend the late Sheldon Brown's webpages.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

There are lots of bike manuals out there - even Haynes do one. Worth looking at a few in a shop and seeing which ones seem clearest to you.

Arch said:
If you fancy trying DIY, then if you can find an old copy of Richard's Bicycle Book (by Richard Ballantine), it'll have some old time maintenance and repair tips. If you get a first edition, it'll also tell you how to kill dogs. They pop up quite often in charity shops, I find.

Oy! Less of that. I bought it first time around. Actually it is a brilliant book. It's the book that opened my eyes to cycling and sent me on my first tour.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Crackle said:
Oy! Less of that. I bought it first time around. Actually it is a brilliant book. It's the book that opened my eyes to cycling and sent me on my first tour.

Oh, no offence meant at all, it's my kind of thing! I merely meant it might be more in tune with that old Pug than with something modern with STI levers and stuff... Much more my cup of tea. Like the difference between looking under the bonnet of my old Mini, and the bonnet of something brand new today.

I'm not sure how many copies I have - at least 2 of the older editions I think (with that sweater on the front), a kids version by Piccolo, and the 21st century version.

None taken. Actually I read it in 79/80 but it was the '72 edition with the 'how to kill dogs' section. I see he's updated it now but I wonder if I'd feel the same reading that. I think I read the last one just at the right time and I'd say Pedaling is at that point now. You should get it Pedaling, as Arch says, it'll be perfect for the Pug and your upcoming adventure.

I'm in South Manchester.
You can borrow my copy of Simon Doughty's Long Distance Cyclists Handbook so long as you promise to bring it back. I will track you down if you don't because it's treasured!

It will be good for you to start with some fairly shortish local rides and then slowly build up your miles. Cycling is something you have to find your own way with. What one person finds nice and comfortable another person will find uncomfortable and pain ful.

There are plenty of local groups. I recommend you look at South Manchester CTC, their C group do some fairly leisurely rides. This is a good place for you to get started and also talk to other cyclists.

You will need some slick tyres, good cycling shorts and a good saddle. A light comfortable rucksack will do you for a half days cycling. You will need to carry a spare tube, puncture repair kit, tyre levers, allan keys, a pump and maybe a multi tool. I have a spare pump in the shed that wil be ideal for your MTB. You will also need to get a bottle cage or two on your bike with a couple of water bottles. On rides lasting more than half an hour, you will need water. Also snacks.

TBH, if I were you, I wouldn't rush to buy a new bike just yet. And I don't think it makes much difference whether you use that Raleigh in the shed or the Giant. Just get out and do some rides.

My partner is short and we really wanted a touring bike for her commute, on a tight budget. In the end we bought a Specialized Tricross single speed in the smallest size. We actually got a really good riding position for her on it, despite it being a gents bike. You might like to take a look at the geared version. I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you had a look at hers. She's probably a good person for you to talk to about cycling.

Don't rush into anything. There's lot of good advice given here, but you will need to work on making sure you are able to stay comfortable in the saddle for long periods of time if you want to do bigger miles. As a generaly guide, people say increase your mileage by 10% week on week.

OP
OP
P

pedaling

ed_o_brain said:
I'm in South Manchester.
You can borrow my copy of Simon Doughty's Long Distance Cyclists Handbook so long as you promise to bring it back. I will track you down if you don't because it's treasured!

It will be good for you to start with some fairly shortish local rides and then slowly build up your miles. Cycling is something you have to find your own way with. What one person finds nice and comfortable another person will find uncomfortable and pain ful.

There are plenty of local groups. I recommend you look at South Manchester CTC, their C group do some fairly leisurely rides. This is a good place for you to get started and also talk to other cyclists.

You will need some slick tyres, good cycling shorts and a good saddle. A light comfortable rucksack will do you for a half days cycling. You will need to carry a spare tube, puncture repair kit, tyre levers, allan keys, a pump and maybe a multi tool. I have a spare pump in the shed that wil be ideal for your MTB. You will also need to get a bottle cage or two on your bike with a couple of water bottles. On rides lasting more than half an hour, you will need water. Also snacks.

TBH, if I were you, I wouldn't rush to buy a new bike just yet. And I don't think it makes much difference whether you use that Raleigh in the shed or the Giant. Just get out and do some rides.

My partner is short and we really wanted a touring bike for her commute, on a tight budget. In the end we bought a Specialized Tricross single speed in the smallest size. We actually got a really good riding position for her on it, despite it being a gents bike. You might like to take a look at the geared version. I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you had a look at hers. She's probably a good person for you to talk to about cycling.

Don't rush into anything. There's lot of good advice given here, but you will need to work on making sure you are able to stay comfortable in the saddle for long periods of time if you want to do bigger miles. As a generaly guide, people say increase your mileage by 10% week on week.

Thanks for the very thoughtful reply - lots of info there. It might be good to talk to your partner, yes, if she's willing to chat to me!

I've had a look at the group you mentioned. Doesn't seem to be any C rides at the moment but perhaps there will be in the future!

OP
OP
P

pedaling

So I got the peugoet bike, and cleaned it for about an hour. It looks beautiful now! (IMO, at least!) I used soapy warm water (washing up liquid for soap!) and some cream cleaner type stuff on a bit of the very rusty bits and just water on some. I wasn't really sure what to use... Anyway, if you look at page one of this thread you'll see the bike before. Here's the after...

The bike seems to move okay. As in, everything goes around and nothing catches, but I can't try riding it because the tyres are knackered and I don't want to misshape the wheels. I have some questions though...

- is there any way I can salvage the mudguard which is slightly snapped? (see pic.)
- what can I do to get the bit which connects the mudguard to connect to the main bit/ where the spokes are? (see pic where I have my hand in pic.)
- what do I need to do to the chain/ middle bit where the pedal is/ anything else?
- which tyres do I need to get? (see pic of markings on tyres.) are these the right ones? The valve on the tyres look a bit weird/ not working atm too.

OH DEAR! Just found this ... apparently I need to go and make sure I got all of it off as I was using washing up liquid... Argh. Any advice on what to substitute the degreaser/ greaser/ bike lube with which I might have in the house anyway?

Essentially I'm looking for advice on what to do next with it...
bike011.jpg

bike012.jpg
bike013.jpg
bike009.jpg
bike015.jpg
bike016.jpg
bike017.jpg
bike018.jpg
bike020.jpg
bike021.jpg
bike014.jpg

Nice bike for a freecycler! Unfortunately, those wheels are a weird 24" french size. Not only will braking in the wet be very poor, but tyre choice is limited.

I found these http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/category-Tyres--24-(540)-345.htm, but I'm sure if you search for other 24 inch (540) tyres you may find something else.

It could do with a new chain (£10 from any decent LBS) but you may find the chain jumps on the old sprocket. decathlon in Stockport do reasonable 5 speed sprockets for these. The mudguard just needs a new bolt at the back (again LBS) and some bodge/TLc on the front bit.

Call it £50 all in to get it roadworthy, but you can get a similar style bike from Decathlon with alloy rims and modern brakes for £129.......

Top Bottom