Touring Checklist Help!?!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
DaleB

DaleB

porkypete said:
If your cycling jerseys are bright enough you don't need a hi-viz vest ?

Thanks, good point - i was thinking that myself today! If it rains though my water proofs aren't that bright i'm afraid :sad:

Thank you 'Arch' also, good point about the T-Shirts, maybe 3 is too many:wacko:

'Pinkkaz' i agree with you on the compass front :ohmy: - that was 'Jmetz' choice!
The cling film is to wrap around the lights and other equipment that is only water 'resistant' to give them extra protection (what do you make of that - good/bad?)

Thanks 'HelenD123' and 'Slowmotion' also ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
DaleB said:
The cling film is to wrap around the lights and other equipment that is only water 'resistant' to give them extra protection (what do you make of that - good/bad?)

Unless you have very very cheap bike lights, (assuming you mean bike lights?) then they ought to be ok. I think 'water resistant' means proof against rain, but not against being dropped in a lake - although they might even survive that, it's not guaranteed...

Cathryn

Legendary Member
You don't need that many socks. One pair per day (wash them out in the shower every day) and rotate! Put clean ones on at the end of the day's cycling and wear them until the next campsite. Ditto pants for the evening. Take 2 pairs, wash and rotate! And try lots of carrier bags instead of bin bags. Lighter and more useful.

I can't believe you missed out the most important thing though - corkscrew/bottle opener!

Sounds brill though. Have a great time.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Jmetz said:
Do not fear, cans of larger come prepeared to be opened :smile: no need for tools

OT a bit, but I've heard (may be a myth), that the AK47 magazine holder (that's bullets, not Take a Break!) had a lip on it that proved to be a good bottle opener, and Russian soldiers used it as such. Unfortunately, sometimes this bent the edge, making it impossible to load the magazine.

Kalashnikov were told about this, and to solve the problem, welded on real bottle openers to the barrel.:smile:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Keep the torch in the list, unless you can find your way around a tent by bat-radar or something. However, the torch can be one of those wind-up dynamo torches, which don't need batteries; They're also quite compact in size. I got one and used it during the Nov/Dec 09 Great Victorian Bike Ride, and it was very useful.

Mycroft

on socks and the washing there of, get some merino socks, they don't stink even after 3/4 days. so 2 pairs is plenty. (same goes for t-shirts)

However one thing I would say is add one further pair ONLY for sleeping in.
keep them ONLY for the tent, why? because if you get a soaking and have to get into a tent wet, its a real boost for moral to pull on dry socks. its also a moral boost to do those last 2/3/5/10 miles KNOWING you have dry socks to get into.

I rather keep the advice of a friend, who said, "get the feet warm and everything else follows"

but lets hope its sunshine all the way :smile:

--

have you done a weekend trip or two already? they are great to suss what gear you REALLY need. but if not, and this is your first trip be prepared to learn a few things along the way, and curse that second spare car battery you thought you might need :laugh:

I mean the fridge is a must.......

ahem.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
A compass is one of my first packs. It weighs nothing and if you're lost it can at least head you in the right sort of direction. I've used it many a time to navigate out of ill signposted towns and cities.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Keep your dry socks in a resealable sandwich bag. I one hiked in a torrential downpour and found out that the waterproof liner I'd put in my bag was not waterproof enough.

Top Bottom