Touring Cyclists Questionnaire - University Major Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AdamMortlock

Regular
Hello again fellow cyclists!

A few days ago I placed a ‘General cycling questionnaire’ on this forum and the amount of feedback I got shocked me (hit the 100 response limit in a matter of hours). Thank you to everyone that filled it in! This has helped me assess the current market and given me an insight in the potential problems cyclists, especially touring cyclists still have.

Now I have another one!
big-smile.png
In this questionnaire I would like to establish in more detail problems that touring cyclists face on longer tours where they may be away for more than a day. It is linked below.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/98NQX5Q

Thank you so much if you completed it!

Adam.

[mod note] See post #12 before clicking the survey link!

Last edited by a moderator:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
[Mod note]
This is a followup questionnaire, not a repeat of Adam's first thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AdamMortlock

AdamMortlock

Regular
Thanks again Hill Wimp, I have already got some really, really useful information for this and only been up for an hour! Thanks Spinney also for sorting it out to meet forum regulations ^_^

Please people keep filling them in! haha. I am already getting some good ideas.

OP
OP
AdamMortlock

AdamMortlock

Regular
Thanks TheDoctor and Ern1e ^_^

snorri

Legendary Member
Done.
I struggled a bit with the first questionnaire, but this one was more straightforward.
It's a little amusing to be asked to comment on the problems associated with touring.
If there were problems I wouldn't do it, it's 99% fun fun fun!:biggrin::sun:

OP
OP
AdamMortlock

AdamMortlock

Regular
hi Snorri,

I maybe used the wrong words! Maybe I should have gone down the route of, what can be improved? what can be made more efficient? What's the struggle of touring?
An example I would give is that if no one questioned the way Victorians heated up water would we still be heating it over a fire? would the kettle exist? running to the local well for water? (bit of an extreme)

Adapting and improving constantly is how we are at the point we are at, the gear you currently own was designed to resolve problems or make an activity easier. Hope that makes it clearer to all the people that are confused why I am asking for 'problems' with touring.

Thanks for filling my questionnaire anyway Snorri and everyone else, I have hit the 100 response limit already!!!! (didn't mean to go on a rant :smile:)

Adam.

OP
OP
AdamMortlock

AdamMortlock

Regular
RESPONSE LIMIT HIT!!!! I WON'T GET THE QUESTIONNAIRES EVEN IF YOU FILL IT OUT, IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY BEST TO POST IT ON THE FORUM I WILL READ IT!!!!!

Thanks so much guys! I got some really, really useful information and it seems a lot of you guys have problems with;

Bikes on trains!
Camping!
Finding fresh foods/ drinks!

And many more! I will analyse all the results! I will be in the forums doily still so will be nice to keep talking to you all and there may be more to come in the next couple weeks! am not just here for my research ^_^

Thanks again,

Adam.

OP
OP
AdamMortlock

AdamMortlock

Regular
Just some of the initial findings from looking quickly;

Problems with carrying (transporting) bicycles on a train,
Problems with pannier carrying when off the bicycle
Problems with when visitng tourist attractions the feeling that panniers are not safe left on the bicycle
Problems with camping
Problems with accessing Fresh food and Drinks

What are your guys thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Adam.

snorri

Legendary Member
I agree with the first three points, these can cause stress at times.
Camping problems..mmmmm well, I like to use campsites because I enjoy the luxury of proper ablutions , taking a spade to the toilet, or swimming in a loch is not my idea of fun. The only problem with campsites is they are seldom exactly where I want them to be, but it can often be fun to find them!
I've never gone hungry or thirsty on a tour, except in Iceland when my body just couldn't take any more pizza or fried chicken which seemed to be all that was available at that time.
Other than that, we just have to sort out head winds, rain and hills and everything will be hunky dory:smile:

OP
OP
AdamMortlock

AdamMortlock

Regular
Thanks Snorri! I can see that maybe not as many people camp in the middle of nowhere, compared to the amount of people with pannier problems. 'Security' as such is the biggest problem with bikes I think form the questionnaires I have done, which makes me think about how I will tackle my 'carrying capacity on a bicycle' major project title, haha

Top Bottom