Touring Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

Garjenkins

Uncle Phil said:
Depending on where you are, you may be able to wild camp or just ask farmers for the use of the corner of a field.

I have to admit that that bit sounds like the coolest thing in the world, borrowing a corner of a field, buying some milk and eggs stright from the farm they were made in......

HelenD123

Legendary Member

OP
OP
G

Garjenkins

andym said:
Have you thought about simply taking off around Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk? If not for a week then a long weekend, just to start you off? Great beaches. Lovely villages. I love touring abroad, but we often underestimate what is literally on our doorsteps.

Yeah I have thought about that for a warm up weekend, I have barged the broads before (not a euphemism for wife beating) and been to some quite nice villages in suffolk essex border...any good ones you know of?

andym

Über Member
Garjenkins said:
Yeah I have thought about that for a warm up weekend, I have barged the broads before (not a euphemism for wife beating) and been to some quite nice villages in suffolk essex border...any good ones you know of?

In Suffolk there's the coastal route that goes from Old Felixstowe (just make sure the ferry is running) through places like Aldeburgh, Orford Ness, Dunwich, and Southwold. Inland Lavenham is great if you like half-timbered and thatched etc. In north Norfolk there are places like Hunstanton and Wells-next-the-Sea.

There's a useful overview here:

http://www.visiteastofengland.com/be-inspired/cycling/default.aspx

Don't forget that you view Ordnance Survey maps online (eg using multimap) these show cycle routes as well as terrain.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Garjenkins said:
I'm a like a newborn foal on a bike looking for directions:blush:

Blimey, I've seen newborn foals trying to walk, are they more or less steady on a bike?:angry:

I can't add much but 'go for it'. Everyone is right, you can tour on anything, with any level of gear, as long as you are sensible about it. I'm also a fan of having stops booked - B and B's or Youth Hostels for me on my couple of solo tours, and I tend to allow 40-50 miles a day - that gives time to linger over lunch, or visit stuff I happen across along the way. I've toured alone in England and in a group in France, and my big ambition is to shed the neurotic need for ready booked accommodation and go ad hoc camping in Europe.

The puncture thing. Have a practice. It's way better if the first time you have to do it, you're in a warm room with a cuppa (or even a cool shed) than at the side of the road in the rain. Get the wheel off (especially importnat to learn how to get your hub geared rear wheel off), the tyre off, the tube out, then put it all back together again. If you're doing it for real, don't forget to check the inside of the tyre for protruding stuff that might re-puncture the tube. Carry a spare tube, so that at the roadside you can just bung a new one in, and repair the hole later in your hotel room at your leisure.

OS landranger maps (1:50,000) are the ones you want - learn to read the contours and symbols (get a local map, go out and follow a few roads, find out what certain contours feel like), and you'll soon get good at planning a nice route in your head.

Kit - light is good and keep it simple. My brother in law did part of the South Downs Way with a mate, in B and B's and showed me the photos, including 'packing', and I had to not laugh at the two pairs of jeans and leather shoes. Cycling kit usually dries quickly, so you can rinse it through each evening, and choose 'evening' wear that packs up small and light. Wash kit can be minimal - decant some shampoo into a travel bottle, and sue that for shampoo and shower gel. Get a travel toothpaste etc. Make a list of what you think you'll need. Get it all out on the bed. Put half of it back...;)

Finally, clippy (actually, confusingly, called 'clipless') pedals, I don't use them either. I have flat 'rat trap' type pedals, with plastic moulded strapless toeclips (the ones that literally just hold your toes). I find they give me all the connection to the pedals I need (and that handy ability to hoik the pedal up to the right position for setting off).

Brains

Legendary Member
Do the first 3-4 day tour locally, then think about Scotland

Work on 50 miles a day +/-10.

Norfolk/Suffolk has some really good touring along the coast, and loads of B&B's

So book up the first night and then plan the rest one day at a time.

Start at somewhere like Norwich and then see how far you can get from home and come back by train

You will take far too much kit the 1st time, so make a note of exactly what you used, and what you missed

Sam Kennedy

Also, make sure you know how to change a puncture, don't just watch the video!
Make sure you know how to use quick release properly, and how to unclip your brakes.
Also, just try taking the tube out your tyre and putting it back in, and putting the tyre back on, do it at least 5 times!

OP
OP
G

Garjenkins

Thanks all, can you believe my tyre punctured on the way home from work last night after these posts! I tried the "fast Air" spray in a can , which I either used wrongly or is complete rubbish. At least I can now practise with the flat tyres....

Arch

Married to Night Train
Garjenkins said:
Thanks all, can you believe my tyre punctured on the way home from work last night after these posts! I tried the "fast Air" spray in a can , which I either used wrongly or is complete rubbish. At least I can now practise with the flat tyres....

Ahhhh. You've fallen prey to the p*****e fairy. Mention her, especially in terms of never having had one, and you're doomed...:ohmy:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Garjenkins said:

Ahhhh. You've fallen prey to the p*****e fairy. Mention her, especially in terms of never having had one, and you're doomed...:ohmy:

Anthony

I've actually never had a puncture in my 4 years of touring. I've just put 2 new Shwable Marathon plus tyres on my galaxy so have I just tempted fate? :ohmy:

Anthony

I've actually never had a puncture in my 4 years of touring. I've just put 2 new Shwable Marathon plus tyres on my galaxy so have I just tempted fate? :ohmy:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Anthony said:
I've actually never had a puncture in my 4 years of touring. I've just put 2 new Shwable Marathon plus tyres on my galaxy so have I just tempted fate? :smile:

:biggrin:

You said it!

;)

You'll go out to your bike next and find a porcupine embedded in each wheel....

Top Bottom