Touring Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony

Another crazyguy here.....
My typical touring mileage is three weeks for a thousand miles. Not hard, not hammering it, but time to enjoy each day and have some days off. Five hundred in a week....no ta.
I did my own tour one February near you, from Ipswich up around the coast and back down to Narridge. That was all done by hotel and I didn't book any in advance, Any of us would be happy to share stories and advice,and we have a rather wide range of areas covered.

Try a thing called audax when you get more used to longer days on the bike.

Tony

...and DO NOT USE THE P-WORD AGAIN!!!!!!

OP
OP
G

Garjenkins

I never will. The day before, my typically negative dad was telling me how "Bikes always go wrong" It ended up shouting match about him always being a downer on everything and you just have to try things sometimes (I am a 31 year old married man who still argues with his dad)....but I strongly believe he hexed me.

Ok, another question then, I have had two p******s ( always in the middle of hackney!) is it cos Im a big bloke and my tyre pressure is wrong - or have i just fallen prey to the thousand tons of sharp rubbish strewn across londons streets?

I have some continental contact reflex tyres and im filling them to about 80 bars.....

andym

Über Member
Garjenkins said:
Ok, another question then, I have had two p******s ( always in the middle of hackney!) is it cos Im a big bloke and my tyre pressure is wrong - or have i just fallen prey to the thousand tons of sharp rubbish strewn across londons streets?

I have some continental contact reflex tyres and im filling them to about 80 bars.....

If they came close together it's possible that your tyres are worn, or that the sharp object that caused the puncture is still in there somewhere. On the other hand 80 psi is slightly on the low side, so if you are a really big bloke it's at least possible they may be pinch punctures. These leave two holes rather than the normal one. Did you ride over a kerb or a pothole?

Oh and in my experience the aerosols are more trouble than they're worth.

Call me a pessimist but if something can go wrong then sometime it will go wrong - with bikes there are fewer things to go wrong. I started riding again becasue it was (and is) the most reliable way of getting around London.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Garjenkins said:
I have to admit that that bit sounds like the coolest thing in the world, borrowing a corner of a field, buying some milk and eggs stright from the farm they were made in......

In much of the west of Ireland, campsites are few and far between, but friendly smallholders are easy to come by. They mostly have other jobs too, so aren't there to buy milk and eggs from in the morning, but still...

*Goes away trying to get rid of mental images of foals falling off bikes*

Top Bottom