Touring in Japan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm doing some speculative long-term planning for taking our bikes to Japan next time we go. I've pootled about on a regular bike on previous occasions, but I'm always frustrated by the fact they weigh as much as a pile of scaffolding and roll like a shopping trolley, so I only really have a practical range of about 10-15k one way.

I've asked about the logistics of getting the bike on a plane elsewhere, but what about Japan itself?

From what I've seen, local bikes use what I know as a 'German' valve and I use Prestas. Is this likely to be a problem if I have to replace a tube? And how readily available are 26" tubes? The local shop by Beautiful Wife's house is a complete mess and only really sells normal Japanese town bikes, so I havn't really been able to investigate on previous visits.

On this subject, I don't normally carry a pump: a combination of Schwalbe Tyres and no hawthorn hedges in this region means I get a puncture every five years or so, so it isn't worth it. What bike-carryable hand pumps to other people use these days?

What bike-carryable hand pumps to other people use these days?

Can't help you with any of the logistics or the Schrader v Presta related stuff other than to say that a Schrader valve won't fit through a Presta hole but if it was the other way around you can get a grommet that seals the hole.

The best small-factor pump I've used was the one someone (possibly @Pat "5mph"?) had on the CC Ecosse tour. It was almost like a mini track pump.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes it was!
From Edinburgh Co-op Cycles, their own Revolution brand. They don't make them anymore.
It got stolen with my bike a couple of years ago :cry:
They never made them, technically. AFAICT it's a rebranded Giyo GM-71, same as the Spesh AirTool was. Still available for about £24 but long shipping time from the far east or Australia. Obsoleted by the 71A then 72 then 81 now the 82 but only a few EU shops carry that...

Last edited:
Yes it was!
From Edinburgh Co-op Cycles, their own Revolution brand. They don't make them anymore.
It got stolen with my bike a couple of years ago :cry:
Think I have one.
Metal foot?
Only drawback is I don't think it can be taken apart to resolve seal issues.
So from now on it's topeak morphs for me.

classic33

Leg End Member
That why it's been brought into line with the "western calendar"?

I was thinking holidays and everything else.

Top Bottom