Touring leeds/selby

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martinwf5

Hi all,
Does anyone know if you can cycle to Selby on the canal tow paths? as i am taking my son on a camping trip, we want to end up at Hornsea following the tpt,

Thanks in advance,
Martin

MockCyclist

I guess by canal you mean the Aire, which is navigable. The Selby canal joins the Aire.

It's possible to cycle a short leg of the Selby canal from West Haddlesey but before long there's a "no cycling" sign. In any case you can't reach the Selby canal along the Aire towpath, as far as I know. It's incomplete or it's a footpath only.

There is a way, but not entirely along the navigation: Take Route 67 from Leeds city centre as far as Mickletown, but make sure you cross to the north side of the Aire, then you would take yellow roads through Allerton Bywater, Fairburn, Burton Salmon, Gateforth, Burn and join the TPT to get to Selby. I have cycled that route so I know it's do-able.

ASC1951

Guru
MockCyclist said:
There is a way, but not entirely along the navigation: Take Route 67 from Leeds city centre as far as Mickletown, but make sure you cross to the north side of the Aire, then you would take yellow roads through Allerton Bywater, Fairburn, Burton Salmon, Gateforth, Burn and join the TPT to get to Selby. I have cycled that route so I know it's do-able.
I was out there last Saturday and it's better than do-able, it's actually very pleasant. Your only hazard is slow-moving cars full of twitchers with everyone hanging out of the windows peering through binoculars.

It might be worth setting a bit of time aside for Thwaite Mills, even if you don't go in for the full visit. http://www.leeds.gov.uk/thwaiteMills/Thwaite_Mills/About_Thwaite.aspx

Top Bottom