Touring on a road bike!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Groovemachine86

Hi all.

I've got a trek 1.2 which Ive equipped for touring, but I'm a bit concerned before I head for Europe about how much weight and general crap the road wheels can take. Only carrying around 15kg of gear but it is a road bike.
Any help from y'all is much appreciated!

James

willem

Über Member
This is a question that is asked very often. Modern roadbikes are not as versatile as older ones. Having said that, this particular one does not look hopeless. On the picture I saw it does not have fancy wheels with few spokes (get your bike shop to tension the spokes). So yes, if you can reduce your luggage a bit more, it may well work. If you do not trust the wheels, get a handbuilt rear wheel with a strong rim and 36 spokes (front wheel should be ok). I would suggest you also fit slightly wider (if possible) and sturdier tyres. You may also want to fit a stem that brings the handlebar a bit higher, and have a look at the gearing.
Take less luggage, and enjoy the trip.
Willem

willem

Über Member
The quality of the wheel building is as important as the spoke count, however. It is not just wheel strength, however. Overloading a light frame gives you a flexing unstable bike, and 15 kg is rather a lot on a road bike. So in all event, reduce your load if you think you can. Going below 15 kg is quite possible. There have been several threads on ultralight camping on this site, and on the CTC forum.
Willem

rualexander

Legendary Member
15kg is actually a fair bit of luggage so you could probably cut it down a bit, but if not I reckon you should be ok anyway. After all its only a couple of stone extra weight (depends how heavy you are I guess).

Top Bottom