touring on a x1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albal

Guru
Anyone ride a x1 chainset on a tour? I only ask as Light Blue have ceased selling double chainset on the new Robinson. X1 only.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have no idea what an X1 chainset is and it appears neither does anyone else.

OP
OP
albal

albal

Guru
Single chainring

Attachments

• light-blue-robinson-rival-1x.jpg
    light-blue-robinson-rival-1x.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 60

Bodhbh

Guru
I have no idea what an X1 chainset is and it appears neither does anyone else.

It's a single chainring up front, generally 11 speed at the back. Looks a bit high to me ~ 30-110 inches or there about on Sheldons calc, but takes all sorts. I did Lon Las Cymru on a hub gear setup with a range of about only 30-80 inches and there's wasn't too much walking involved...approx 40mins over the whole 250 miles.

No direct experience of a x1 chainset, but interested as I might be building a tourer for someone who hasn't got full use of their left hand and can only work one shifter.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
TCR, PBP and LEL have all been done on fixies and so touring on this bike shouldn't be a problem. Depending on what load the op is carrying.

My first, and second reaction to the question, is why?

Do you have any info to share with us on this bike?

Methinks if they took it to a double and then a single they aren't much interested in cyletouring.

Might be useful/nice for something else of course.

Are you limited to one bike?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My first tour ever many years ago was on a "sports" bike with one gear and freewheel. You can tour on anything you are comfortable with. People are so obsessed nowadays with the correct image rather than just use what is available. f you have it use it!

It all depends on where you tour.
You'll be fine if you stick to the european river valleys as they are basically flat.
You'll probably be ok in the Alps/north Scotland as the hills tend to be long but not too steep.
Not to sure about Devon/Cornwall with short but steep hills.
But if the hills get too steep for your first gear, you can always walk up them.

My bent trike has 2x2x14 gears, so a very non-standard setup here ...... ^_^

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
True.
If I was to sit down and build a tourer from scratch I might go single chainring, but it'd be, say, a 34T with something like a 12-36T cassette.
There's never a situation where you *need* a taller gear, but there's usually a time when you'd like a lower one. Or a short walk, for a change.

Top Bottom