Touring on micro budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex11

Andy I wish you all the success. It's a great idea, get together a little money from somewhere and spend £30 or £40 on an old road bike off eBay, a half decent one can be got for that sort of money. Find/make some pannier bags and get a camping stove and set off. It's a nice idea in theory, maybe you can pick up a tent really damn cheap off eBay?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Hey Andy -, do you have a rack and other equipment? I think I have a spare if you need one and the project takes off.

I don't know if I'm brave enough to do it but if you are Andy go for it, it sounds a wonderful adventure and will hopefully make you feel positive when you go for jobs; its a great way at interviews to be able to break the ice, talking about your great adventure. Good Luck!

rualexander

Legendary Member
You could also use free accommodation websites such as warmshowers.org and couchsurfing.org
Or if you fancied a longer trip, sign off and cycle around france working your way with hosts on WWOOF or Workaway or helpx.net etc.
Choose hosts who speak english if language is a problem, and you never know, you might come back nearly fluent in French!

Tiberius Baltar

This thread is great! Already he has a stove, a rack and some panniers. If you can get the cheap bike then in all seriousness your only other major bit of kit would need to be a bivvi bag and a basha.

Don't listen to the negative fuddy duddies on here this is going to be an epic ADVENTURE and I for one fully encourage you to do it. Just to think of the endless possibilities and what could come of you doing this. You could meet the woman of your dreams! You could end up living on a farm! You could end up on the other side of the world!

You sir, have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Be optimistic and nothing will slow you down. This is what the Australian's mean when they go walkabout. You will discover yourself and learn things you never knew you were capable of, so what if you miss the occasional meal? You will be amazed at what your body can do and this will be the making of you! :bravo:

OP
OP
A

andy__

Thanks for all the support people, so kind! I will go down and try and find a bike Tuesday. I'll be back.

lip03

Über Member
alright you have got me!!! this is fast turning into a feel good thread! i must have been having a bad day on saturday! go for it mate why the f**k not! get yourself on youtube and watch a load of bike maintenance vids and have a fiddle with your bike when you get one make sure its all in good working order espescially if you get it free!! i have a think and see if i have anything i can donate!

Bodhbh

Guru
Sounds like a great idea, just go do it, you might not have the time when you're working. Also it won't hurt at job interviews to be able to say you've done something positive with the time.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I don't think youre allowed to claim JSA if you leave the UK even if you're back for your next appointment, although im not sure they'd actually find out/care. I think its something to do with being able to attend an interview if it came up, which makes it silly that you could tour the shetland isles but not nip into northern France i guess. Probably worth checking out though.

Good luck, I hope all goes well :smile:

pshore

Hi Andy, I just wanted to say this is brilliant!

I have hired a few people as part of my job and I can tell you that the people who have a much better chance of being hired are those who are motivated, can demonstrate how to move forward or fix problems in times of adversity, and have a zest for life. This trip will give you some great stories to tell in interviews.

I assume you might be able to pick up farm labouring work whilst on the move. If not for money, for food and lodging. If you talk to locals along the way you may fall upon good luck. Warm showers etc is a great idea for improving your chances.

On my last tour in Normandie I met a guy with a dog sleeping in a hedge. He had been on the road for two years just heading south for winter, north for summer. His panniers were plastic bags and to be honest he did look like a bum, but he was happy. Inspiration.

P.

Top Bottom