Touring on micro budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

andy__

I'm still really looking forward to doing it, the more journals i read the more of the bug I'm getting. But by the time i get organised it will be hitting winter. But not to worry as it will be something to look forward to next year. I've been reading blogs of people cycling round the world, quite inspirational, must say. Thanks again for all your offers and advice.

Alex11

I'm still really looking forward to doing it, the more journals i read the more of the bug I'm getting. But by the time i get organised it will be hitting winter. But not to worry as it will be something to look forward to next year. I've been reading blogs of people cycling round the world, quite inspirational, must say. Thanks again for all your offers and advice.

Just get out on your bike and set off tomorrow Andy! (or as soon as your free stuff arrives from these very kind forum members!)

Crankarm

Guru

You are in Wiltshire so a short tour loop in Wales is very do-able and cheap. Get up to Abergavenny there are lots of possibilities riding a short circular tour from here over 5 days. Mid central Wales, the Brecon Beacons, Cambrian mountains - all very beautiful. Go now it is still pretty warm.

StuartG

slower but further
Just do it!

It may be worthwhile checking out with a local cycle touring club (avoid the racers). Some might be a bit snooty but there are many who started cycling on a set of assorted gas pipes and will envy your spirit. BUT they can take a critical eye to your bike and gear and spot many a problem before it appears. A lot easier to fix before you go. You might pick up some useful stuff from their bottom drawer. Old maps for one ...

If you can choose the time you start - study the weather forecasts. In summer/autumn a high over France is going to guarantee good weather for the best part of a week. Living wild in the sun is so much nicer.

Ferries (with bike) can be had from about £11 each way (ex Dover). It should be possible to do it for free if you could join a car as they don't usually charge for extra passengers. Of course you would have to disassemble the bike and I have no idea how you could find a willing driver.

The bottom line is to take as little as possible. Using an old non-touring bike will mean it will feel like twice the load it really is. If you are going to get good weather than do without the tent and really sleep wild. There a bus shelters, ruins and other cover an enterprising traveller can find. As for hygiene (useful if you may be asking favours of people) if you can get something like Helly Hensen LIFA base layers - they are great at regulating temperature, keeping your outer clothing BO free and wash out and dry overnight. So you only need two and they scrunch up into almost nothing. A new price of over £20 is a problem. I doubt people are going to let go of them secondhand.

Half you sustainance is free - water! Very essential if its warm and even when it is cold. You might consider two water bottles instead of one and keep them filled at every available loo. Getting dehydrated is serious and more easily avoided than going hungry. As for food you will need a lot of energy/glucose. Your judgement will fail and pedalling will be much harder and dispiriting if you go short. Sweets are a great micro way of keeping yourself topped up as you travel. Check out hypermarkets doing BOGOF to get a lot for very little. Scoop the unwanted ones often given out for free in cafes or in hotel receptions. The budget hotels often have only one person running the show so you can wait outside till you see them disappear and scoop a load ...

Do take an exercise book, a pen and a plastic bag. Recording your experience as you go will be a wonderful addition to your bookshelf/future life. It also makes you reflect critically at what you got out of each day. Record your highs, learn from your lows. It will be your loyal companion.

I'm getting really jealous. Families, jobs and stuff are good. But they do get in the way of true adventure!

StuartG

slower but further
Oh I forgot one thing. A good bicycle pump. Tyre pressure is even more important than the tyre and air is FREE. Basically the more pressure, the easier the ride with dramatically fewer punctures. It makes a real difference. Track pumps can put in 100psi easily whereas cheap minipumps might not get much more than 20psi. An old full length pump from a skip or a relative might be a better deal. (Do check out friends and family for old bikes rotting away in their garages. They may have useful accessories you can borrow like a better saddle, a bell, even better brake blocks you can quietly exchange). Check out what the pump can put in. If you are not going to take a guauge and get used to what optimum feels like. I normally put 90% of the rated (it will be on the tyre wall). You will probably be wanting 80psi plus. Letting it go under 60psi is a serious waste of energy on a heavy bike.

Alex11

Andy, I picked up a 2 man good quality tent at a car booty for £3 this weekend, also a Brookes for the same money and there were plenty of cheap steel racers perfect for what you want to do for the £50 quid mark.
Try and get down to your local one, pick some stuff up, and get going!

When you begin to look for a bike don't forget to check out your local council dump because the majority of bikes taken to my local one are salvaged and sold on by staff as a little side line.I don't have a problem with that if it means good bikes aren't destroyed.

Lorrie

Regular
Andy go for it, hubby and I have just spent 10 days cycling and camping around the suffolk coast, on cheap bikes and kit, we had an amazing time best holiday ever we are both in our fifties but we managed fine. Can't wait to do it again but must save up for better bike over the winter.
The world won't wait for you go out there and grab hold of it and good luck my friend.

hoopdriver

Guru
You are in Wiltshire so a short tour loop in Wales is very do-able and cheap. Get up to Abergavenny there are lots of possibilities riding a short circular tour from here over 5 days. Mid central Wales, the Brecon Beacons, Cambrian mountains - all very beautiful. Go now it is still pretty warm.
This is excellent advice. Wales is very doable and very worthwhile. I've toured all over the world, on every continent, and I would rate Wales as one of the very best places i've cycled. It's practically in your backyard and doable right into October - I know, I've done it then. Go for it.

MarkF

Guru
You go this year or you are not getting the panniers. :angry: Please don't backtrack, no really bad things will happen, your legs won't fall off or anything and you don't need a "good" bike to plod on. As I mentioned previously, I went to Spain because at the time there was nothing in the UK for me, an under qualified, provincial, comprehensive educated oik. I'd have had a much worse life if I hadn't "broken out", I am sure of that.

Can't remember the company......but in June, near Madrid I saw many ad's for native English speakers, no cash but 2 weeks food and board with Spanish families with teenage children wanting to learn English, if I was your age and in your position I'd do that as long for as I could. 6 months and you would be 100% bi-lingual, that would be useful and raise your self esteem and employment prospects no end.

DaveFY7

Über Member
On the subject of touring on the cheap, my mate and I toured Norway last year. We walked into the first supermarket and were horrified at the prices. It turned out that the tour was our cheapest yet as we saw it as a challenge and went for it. Camped wild every night and ate bread, beans etc etc. Thoroughly enjoyed the experience and lost a fair bit of weight by keeping off the booze.

Top Bottom