Touring...or 'bikepacking'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
This is a discussion that came out of my previous 'podcast' thread. I've noticed all the cool kids on Insta are talking about 'bikepacking' instead of 'touring' when they mean loading up their bikes and going on an overnight/longer trip. I'm intrigued.

Is it the same thing? Is it different?

Is it an assumption that 'tourers' are predominantly older, less 'cool' and on more traditional bikes whereas 'bikepackers' are younger, hipper, riding gravel bikes and eschew panniers for some intriguing new rack-attaching bags? Is it an age thing? A kit thing? A bike thing? Or is it completely different?

I say this as a 45-year-old woman who is very content to call herself a 'tourer'*

* based on previous life before children/in my heart/on the numerous spreadsheets I've planned trips on since Lockdown 1.0

Blimey, this could be a can of worms ^_^

I’m guilty of having a bike classed as a gravel bike that I load with frame bags, seat and handlebar bags. I would say that when bikepacking, it’s about a fun day out a roughing it a little, for an overnight or two in a bivvi and a tarp type set up, maybe more off road

I’m also guilty of having a tourer that has had panniers etc, loaded with more clothes, a full stove and a tent, more of a holiday than a night or two out and usually on a smoother surface.

I am also over 50 😩 so definitely not on trend 😂

there will be more people along with differing opinions but it’ll be fun.
Good thread hopefully

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
This is a discussion that came out of my previous 'podcast' thread. I've noticed all the cool kids on Insta are talking about 'bikepacking' instead of 'touring' when they mean loading up their bikes and going on an overnight/longer trip. I'm intrigued.

Is it the same thing? Is it different?

Is it an assumption that 'tourers' are predominantly older, less 'cool' and on more traditional bikes whereas 'bikepackers' are younger, hipper, riding gravel bikes and eschew panniers for some intriguing new rack-attaching bags? Is it an age thing? A kit thing? A bike thing? Or is it completely different?

I say this as a 45-year-old woman who is very content to call herself a 'tourer'*

* based on previous life before children/in my heart/on the numerous spreadsheets I've planned trips on since Lockdown 1.0

i was quite innocently cycle touring - and camping (mostly wildly) along the way -

- also as a forty something woman out on the west coast of Scotland, a little while back.

I'd set off as a 'touring cyclist' - in my mind at least.

But somewhere along the way - a bearded gentleman on a gravel bike appraised my luggage clad bicycle and uttered the immortal words

" I like your rig"

It was at that point that i may have been given the nod to join the bikepacking club -

But i haven't actually filled in the membership forms yet :rolleyes:

i was quite innocently cycle touring - and camping (mostly wildly) along the way -

- also as a forty something woman out on the west coast of Scotland, a little while back.

I'd set off as a 'touring cyclist' - in my mind at least.

But somewhere along the way - a bearded gentleman on a gravel bike appraised my luggage clad bicycle and uttered the immortal words

" I like your rig"

It was at that point that i may have been given the nod to join the bikepacking club -

But i haven't actually filled in the membership forms yet :rolleyes:

are you sure it was your bike he was referring to 😂

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I’m guilty of having a bike classed as a gravel bike that I load with frame bags, seat and handlebar bags. I would say that when bikepacking, it’s about a fun day out a roughing it a little, for an overnight or two in a bivvi and a tarp type set up, maybe more off road

So it could be a LENGTH thing?

(Length OF TIME, obvs)

(Length OF TIME, obvs)

(Length OF TIME, obvs)

maybe length and technique (riding obvs)

Top Bottom