Touring plans for 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
During these dark evenings I've started dreaming and planning for 2023.

So far I'm set on taking the ferry to the Netherlands again and cycling up to Groningen through the Veluwe, and taking another ferry to Dublin and cycling to Belfast calling in on family along the way.

What plans do you have?

Sallar55

Veteran
Are you heading for Bilbao or Santander for a ferry to Ireland?

chriswoody

Legendary Member
At the moment I've a plan to catch the train to Hamburg and then ride the 120 odd kilometres home, over the Lüneberg Heathland with my son. Should take three days at a steady pace. Need to solve a few practical issues over carrying stuff given his bike is so small.

My annual summer trip I'm not so sure, maybe Switzerland this time or I might even do a ride in the UK. Whatever I do decide, it will be a multi day off-road route with the Mountain bike.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'm definitely doing the Rebellion Way in spring and I have a great route worked out for Herne Bay to Glastonbury (the town, not the festival) for the summer. Going to make more of my weekends as well.

Herne Bay to Glasto sounds interesting!

Heading through Salisbury and Shaftesbury? That's a favorite of mine.

rivers

How far can I go?
One of my current plans involves the wife dropping my son and I off in Frome and following some off-road route towards Bradford-on-Avon before doubling back out through Bath, Keynsham, the railway path and festival way to home on the outskirts of Bristol. Plan is to tow the little man in his trailer, camping along the way, including spending an absolute fortune to stay at Avon Valley Wildlife park so he can see the animals (and dinosaurs!).
I'm hoping to get another long weekend away with either my mates or just on my own exploring more of Dartmoor.

teebs

I'm thinking I will head out to Mulhouse or Strasbourg (evening ferry on a Friday and then local trains on the Saturday) and then take a week to cycle to the Hook of Holland for the overnight ferry back to the UK. Just need to work out whether I'm actually capable of keeping the required distances up every day with a heavy load.

I'm thinking I will head out to Mulhouse or Strasbourg (evening ferry on a Friday and then local trains on the Saturday) and then take a week to cycle to the Hook of Holland for the overnight ferry back to the UK. Just need to work out whether I'm actually capable of keeping the required distances up every day with a heavy load.

You'll have few hills to worry about, although the wind can be a factor in NL.
One of the great things about that area is the ability to pretty much hop on any train with a loaded bike. It can take a lot of the stress out of the trip.

teebs

You'll have few hills to worry about, although the wind can be a factor in NL.
One of the great things about that area is the ability to pretty much hop on any train with a loaded bike. It can take a lot of the stress out of the trip.

Yep that was my thinking - very easy bail out options if need be.

I think I'd need to average about 70 miles a day for seven days if going from Mulhouse, which is quite a lot. However, if it's all on tarmac and pretty flat then it should be fine. I've done ~60 miles a day for four days on hillier terrain with a lot of canal paths, which aren't the best and survived.

Yep that was my thinking - very easy bail out options if need be.

I think I'd need to average about 70 miles a day for seven days if going from Mulhouse, which is quite a lot. However, if it's all on tarmac and pretty flat then it should be fine. I've done ~60 miles a day for four days on hillier terrain with a lot of canal paths, which aren't the best and survived.

The only thing I'd say is that that parts of that route can be quite busy on weekends, holidays and at peak times with kids, dogs and all kinds of contraptions making high speed travel challenging and anti-social at times.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Thanks for sharing your ideas for 2023. I find inspiration in them.

My plan to cycle from Dublin to Belfast has evolved. When I started doing some planning I realised I would be spending more time on trains and ferries than I would on the bike, so the latest plan is to extend the cycling by getting the ferry to Rosslare and cycling from there to Belfast. That gives me the option of going through the Wicklow mountains and Dublin, or heading northwest skirting the big lumps and city. I'll still have the Cooley and Mourne mountains to enjoy!

The other thing I've identified is that most of the eating and drinking places will be pubs. I need to checkout how that might work for a teetotal vegetarian.

That gives me the option of going through the Wicklow mountains and Dublin, or heading northwest skirting the big lumps and city.
I went to up to Belfast, albeit from South and West of Dublin. There's a lovely canal route that will take you right into the heart of Belfast with no stress nor traffic.

As much as I love the place I'd be hesitant about heading through Dublin on a bike.

I need to checkout how that might work for a teetotal vegetarian.
Teetotal is not a problem. I well remember the days when a coffee was made from a huge tin of instant with the powder stuck to the spoon^_^ - Ireland has come on a lot. Veggie food is very common.

Hope you've a great trip

Top Bottom