Touring saddle recommendations...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
....not Brooks though having tried and failed to get on with them.
I had a Selle Royal before the ill-fated Brooks fiasco!

p.s I thought I'd already posted this but I can't find it so I must have been having a senior moment.

djb1971

Legendary Member
Tried the Rolls?

john59

Guru
Another vote for the Selle San Marco Rolls saddle. I've had it on my Thorn over the last few years without problems.

John

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I haven't but I'll see if I can find one to have a feel. The trouble with saddles is that it's £40 plus to have a punt and you can't even tell if you've made a good choice until you've done a fair bit of riding on it.

yello

rich p said:
The trouble with saddles is that it's £40 plus to have a punt and you can't even tell if you've made a good choice until you've done a fair bit of riding on it.

I feel your pain... metaphorically of course. It's a pain in the arse (metaphorically AND literally) trying to find the right saddle. I really do wish there was a more intelligent way of selecting a saddle than simply reading reviews.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
...and you'll probably find that most of the Rolls sellers are people who've discarded that horrible lump of plastic for a decent Brooks.

What exactly is it about the Brooks that's defeated you?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I found my Arione very comfy on our tour of Belgium (admittedly we were only doing 40 or so miles a day, at about 10mph average).

The Arione does have a very flat profile though, so if you have trouble with perineal pressure, it's probably not ideal.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
oxford_guy said:
In fact, I've got a virtually brand new Rolls or sale, if you're interested?

I have been offered one by another member which I'm hoping will come off. If not I'll get in touch. Did you noy like it yourself, OG?

srw said:
...and you'll probably find that most of the Rolls sellers are people who've discarded that horrible lump of plastic for a decent Brooks.

What exactly is it about the Brooks that's defeated you?

I've banged on ad nauseam on here about it before so I won't bore everyone again. The main problem is that it's not waterproof and it got very wet, went out of shape and gave me the sorest arse since I did time.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
John the Monkey said:
I found my Arione very comfy on our tour of Belgium (admittedly we were only doing 40 or so miles a day, at about 10mph average).

The Arione does have a very flat profile though, so if you have trouble with perineal pressure, it's probably not ideal.

I like the Arione but it doesn't seem like a 3 week touring saddle but I could be wrong!

just jim

rich p said:
I've banged on ad nauseam on here about it before so I won't bore everyone again. The main problem is that it's not waterproof and it got very wet, went out of shape and gave me the sorest arse since I did time.

What for rich p?

I think we should be told.

spec sonoma 175 ive been using one from new for the past 165 days - -9500k around europe - i dislike brooks for all thereasons given above

Top Bottom