Touring Saddle Trouble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_T

Hi all, I used to have a Brooks B17, but found that too hard and narrow, I now have the B67, which is comfortable for the first few miles, but then the problem starts...it feels as if I'm sat on a rock :whistle: I've probably done around 300-400 miles on it, and know it takes time for them to bed in so to speak, but the pain after an hour is just too much,and am now considering getting this:

http://www.selleroyal.com/en/comfort/respiro-soft-relaxed

The problem is, I don't want something that looks like a tractor seat, and this saddle is more for the upright riding position, where as I'm more probably around the 60deg mark. I've already tried this, http://www.selleroyal.com/en/comfort/moody-spring but again I find it too narrow. Should I try the tractor seat, or does anyone think that I haven't given the Brooks long enough?

Any comments and thoughts would be appreciated, thanks
Paul:bicycle:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As I'm sure you know, what works for others may not work for you.

But for what it's worth, I think you've given the Brooks plenty of time, I'm afraid you are never going to get on with it.

Although it might be worth tinkering with the angle.

Generally, men get on better with a saddle tilted slightly backwards, women get on better with a saddle tilted slightly forwards.

A backwards tilt made quite a difference to me on the saddle supplied with my new Cannondale mountain bike.

On my other bikes I have tractor seat saddles for comfort, which is really all that matters, although they do look naff.

Your point about rider angle may be relevant, I ride more upright than you.

The saddle you've linked to looks to be a good one of its type.

I'm not sure how much it is, but you could try the tractor experience for a very reasonable £18 by buying the saddle in the link.

I have one and reckon it's pretty good - as tractor saddles go.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling-parts/saddles-seat-posts/bikehut-gel-comfort-saddle

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd be tempted to check your saddle height as well. if it is a bit low it can cause you to 'sit' a bit more heavily on the saddle and not take so much weight on your legs. As I mentioned in your other thread I find the Narrow version much more comfortable than the standard width model.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Have you measured your sit bones? Sit on a piece of soft corrugated cardboard on a flight of stairs, leaning about the angle you prefer on the bike, then measure the distance between the dent centres. You want the distance between the high points (plastic/foam) or hammock centres (leather) of the saddle to be roughly that distance, plus the nose to be just narrow enough not to chafe thighs.

I like SR saddles but your bum may be a different shape or you ride bikes differently.

Sharky

Guru
Although Brooks saddles are still used by many, there were reasons why leather saddles lost out to the saddles of today. They took ages to become comfortable, then after a while used to sag and then chaffs your thighs. In my youth, I had a http://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/cinelli-unicanitor-cmx-saddle-yellow but in black. This had no padding, but never lost it's shape and I rode it for several years.
In fact, I still have this saddle. Been in the garage for almost 40 years. Tried it again a couple of years ago, but it was agony. But if any body wants it - send me a PM.

Saddle comfort is about the saddle, but not entirely. Legs and riding technique contribute as well. Every time you freewheel and go over bumps etc, weight should be taken by the legs and not all on the bum. Also true when peddling as well.

Good luck
Keith

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Although Brooks saddles are still used by many, there were reasons why leather saddles lost out to the saddles of today. They took ages to become comfortable, then after a while used to sag and then chaffs your thighs. In my youth, I had a http://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/cinelli-unicanitor-cmx-saddle-yellow but in black. This had no padding, but never lost it's shape and I rode it for several years.
In fact, I still have this saddle. Been in the garage for almost 40 years. Tried it again a couple of years ago, but it was agony. But if any body wants it - send me a PM.

Saddle comfort is about the saddle, but not entirely. Legs and riding technique contribute as well. Every time you freewheel and go over bumps etc, weight should be taken by the legs and not all on the bum. Also true when peddling as well.

Good luck
Keith

A mixed of facts and rubbish / exaggerations.

I ride some modern type saddles and also some brooks saddles. Happy with both types but a B17 doesn't look right on a modern bike. I think the brooks saddles are still very popular and much loved but some people, like myself, don't want to spoil the look of a modern bike and others don't want to add the extra weight, I don't think it's a matter of comfort.

Also, it's a well known fact that there are people with brooks backside and there are those that don't have one, like with many other saddles , it's a very personal item.

Top Bottom