Touring Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
HLaB said:
Is there a hill between Brodrick and Lochranza on route 78, the only hill of note I can remember on the Island is between Blackwaterfoot and Brodick ;)

The big hill between Brodick and Lochranza is route73 going northwards and anti clockwise.
I thought HLaB was going clockwise (the long way round) from Brodick so would miss the hill (unless he cuts over the String road).

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
HLaB said:
Is there a hill between Brodrick and Lochranza on route 78, the only hill of note I can remember on the Island is between Blackwaterfoot and Brodick :smile:

Yes there is. Rode it today!!! Not too bad even with panniers but it does have a couple of false summits

toroddf

Yes there is. Rode it today!!! Not too bad even with panniers but it does have a couple of false summits

westernisles1-4.jpg

from the east

and 

westernisles1-5.jpg

from the west (Lochranza)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
The last time I rode it from the east, there was a line of people pushing bikes from about the half way point. Oddly they were taking photos of me cycling all the way up, I waited until I got to the top before take any photos.

The last time I rode it from the west, about half way up I was given the thumbs up by one of the local bus drivers, then when I get to the top went to do a victory salute and nearly fell off as I wasn't going fast enough...

DSCF1724.JPG

spot the leg, I was clipped in and couldn't put a foot down, but somehow managed to pull my self up right before falling over :ohmy:

DSCF1725.JPG

I am the second cyclist in the photos.

Home at last from my tour of Scotland.
Just under 11 weeks on the road and 2,424 miles covered.

I only pulled up that hill from the Lockranza side.
Not bad, only took me ~45 mins with the loaded Trike.
Going down the other side was much more fun at +40 mph due to the state of the road ........ :tongue:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Home at last from my tour of Scotland.
Just under 11 weeks on the road and 2,424 miles covered.

I only pulled up that hill from the Lockranza side.
Not bad, only took me ~45 mins with the loaded Trike.
Going down the other side was much more fun at +40 mph due to the state of the road ........ :tongue:

Way to go tiger!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions and especially toroddf for his outline route. I followed much of this, I would never have considered the Outer Hebrides, and can only say I have had the most wonderful week. The islands are spectacular, of all the places I've visited in the world I cannot think of anywhere as beautiful, absolutely stunning. I was incredibly lucky with the weather, only one morning of 45mph winds and horizontal stair rods - I gather tordoff may not have been so lucky as he/she was there a week ahead of me - and the rest of the time was either dull and warm or brilliant sunshine and mainly southerly winds.

I'll do a proper report of my route and publish a link here for folk who may be interested. That will be in a few days.

If you're thinking about The Hebrides - do it, if only for the ride from Leverburgh to Stornoway. This is excellent riding, challenging climbs, spectacular sea and landscapes, really enjoyable. The beauty is truely emotional.

Thank you toroddf!

toroddf

Thank you, PaulSB.

My tour was too extreme for me. But I echo your views about the Hebrides islands. My finest day was when I started just outside Lochboisdale and cycled up the Uists and up to Tarbert at Harris. My tour is at http://www.toroddfuglesteg.com/westernisles.html  I have seen enough to be absolute certain that the whole 150 miles from Castlebay at Barra to Butt Of Lewis is a brilliant tour.......... in nice weather. I will be therefore be back sometimes in the future to do these 150 miles with a better setup and at least 5 stones lighter.

And I repeat what I said earlier: Forget the Highlands. The best cycling in Scotland is on the islands. 

fay144

Thanks for the reports, everyone who has added to this.

I'm doing a similar route in 3 weeks and just can't wait! I could read reports and look at photos all day.

toroddf

Thanks for the reports, everyone who has added to this.  

I'm doing a similar route in 3 weeks and just can't wait!  I could read reports and look at photos all day.
A three good advices to help you a bit:

1. Boot's Chemist is selling a box of 12 travel sickness (Read: sea sickness) tablets for £ 2.49. That is a very good investment. 

2. Check out if MV Clansman has returned to service before you leave. It is currently in repair and that is having a knock on effect on all ferries out of Oban and to Islay. Most critically, the Oban to Castlebay sailings.

3. Buy a torch. If you are planning to go to Castlebay, there is a bus shelter just opposite Kisimul Castle at the dockside (to the right when leaving the ferry) which you may use as an emergency shelter if it is dark and the ferry is late.  

Good luck and don't forget to post your own tour report when back again from the tour. 

P.H

Über Member
What a great thread, I've been looking at peoples reports and photos, thought I'd add mine.

Toured last September, Mull, Skye and then across to Inverness. 2009 Scotland

Then in May this year the Outer Hebrides Scotland 2010

I thought Mull was the most picturesque, but for sheer scenery Harris is out of this world.  I can see me spending all my holidays cycling round Scotland and then not doing it all.  I should have started thirty years ago!

Thank you, PaulSB.

My tour was too extreme for me. But I echo your views about the Hebrides islands. My finest day was when I started just outside Lochboisdale and cycled up the Uists and up to Tarbert at Harris. My tour is at http://www.toroddfug...sternisles.html I have seen enough to be absolute certain that the whole 150 miles from Castlebay at Barra to Butt Of Lewis is a brilliant tour.......... in nice weather. I will be therefore be back sometimes in the future to do these 150 miles with a better setup and at least 5 stones lighter.

And I repeat what I said earlier: Forget the Highlands. The best cycling in Scotland is on the islands.

When I did the Islands last year at this time i had simlair weather, whilst the gales where not so long lasting, the wind was something else. on the A807 between Clachan na Luib to Surth Mor, the wind was pushing me along at 30+MPH, At Berneray I opted for the Youth Hostel as the wind was shredding tents. From Leverburgh i opted to do the Golden road along the East coast, which was great views, but it took me at one stage 4 hours to do 13 miles. due to wind., but it was well worth. and am always trying to get others to try its as it is interesting to say the least

Top Bottom