touring solo or in company

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
griff said:
I tour both solo and in others company, so it makes no difference to me. But you on the other hand are obviously different if your postings on travelling light and bike forums are anything to judge you by where you post as antokelly

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Travelling_Light/index.php?showtopic=424

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=580248

I think a trip to the doctor would be more benificial to you than your repeated postings on the same subjects on different forums where your wasting other peoples time. Dont wish to sound harsh towards you but your getting very repetitive in your postings

WTF? One of those posts was from 2.5 years ago and the other from 1 year ago and whe did you win the vote as Cyclechat monitor?

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
you tell him Rich:thumbsup::becool:

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
thanks rich p ,i don't know why guy's like this griff a not struck down with a bolt of lightning,could you imaging going on a tour with this guy wow what fun we would have.get yourself a life buddy stop annoying people on all the forums you haunt.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've toured alone and in company, and they've been different kinds of trip - the rides in company have been with a group in France and oraganised by one of the others, so all I've had to go is do the distance, keep up with everyone and get to the hotel each night. In this country, I've toured alone, always using hostels or B and Bs, with the route planned beforehand, so again, it's been a case of making the destination each night.

I'd like to tour more informally sometime, in Europe, camping perhaps, more ad hoc. It would be nice to have a companion, but if I don't have one, I'll go alone.

I guess I'm happy with my own company, so being in the saddle alone all day or sitting in the evening reading is fine. Where I think I like the idea of a companion most is for coping with finding accommodation and so on - I'm still a bit tied to the idea of having everything planned, and a bit shy of asking stuff, and company might make me a bit bolder...

Griff - how rude!

Solo or not? I like both, but the people I tour with are good friends whom I trust implicitly, or my husband. That is the key I think. The only one bad experience I have had touring has been with someone I didn't know that well - never again!!

Darryl

Solo

One of the reasons for my trips is to get some alone time, but then I'm only away for 3 or 4 days. If the trips were longer I might change my mind

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Darryl said:
Solo

One of the reasons for my trips is to get some alone time, but then I'm only away for 3 or 4 days. If the trips were longer I might change my mind

I was ready for some company after 3 days. It would also be nice to have someone to share the burden of finding accommodation, thinking where to get supplies etc. But I'd much rather be on my own than with the wrong person. It's a delicate balance.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I normally tour alone beit for 2-3 days or longer rides such as LEJOG and Channel to the Med.

This summer however I spent a week cycling with two total strangers through Brittany and along the Loire Valley. They were two Manchester lads, twenty years my junior but we hit it off on the ferry to St Malo and stuck together for the first week until we reached Orleans. We had very different agendas - they were riding to Poland and wanted to do a 100km per day every day. I just wanted to be at Beaune in time to be picked up by the European Bike Express. The parting of our ways at Orleans was enforced by the frame on my Dawes Galaxy snapping and after spending a day as a tourist before buying a replacement bike, I finished my ride alone.

I was surprised at how enjoyable riding with company could be but I don't think that I'd have enjoyed a full fortnight of it - I like being in control too much.

Lone Rider

Solo for a few days or a week is great, however, a longer tour would be more fun with somebody. I envy the couples I see touring together. Going alone is better than cycling with somebody you end up clashing with. As several people have said, it's easier to meet people when you are alone, but I also agree that touring with the right person is the best option.

jay clock

Massive member
Both. I have done half a dozen hotel tours with a mate and we have a ball. I have toured alone and enjoyed it too, although wild camping on your own takes some mental attitude that I am not certain I have got yet. My tour last week was goos in that I bumped into another cyclist and spent a couple of days with him

I would say that if doing a really long tour (eg round the world, or through Africa) then the help of a partner in looking after bikes while in a shop etc, would be a massive advantage

griff said:
I tour both solo and in others company, so it makes no difference to me. But you on the other hand are obviously different if your postings on travelling light and bike forums are anything to judge you by where you post as antokelly

I think a trip to the doctor would be more benificial to you than your repeated postings on the same subjects on different forums where your wasting other peoples time. Dont wish to sound harsh towards you but your getting very repetitive in your postings

Ooh, what glee! Our latest troll! :smile:

Welcome!

Hope the view from under the bridge is pleasing, as I expect you spend all your time there and not in the saddle!

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
HelenD123 said:
I was ready for some company after 3 days. It would also be nice to have someone to share the burden of finding accommodation, thinking where to get supplies etc. But I'd much rather be on my own than with the wrong person. It's a delicate balance.

That's a good point. I wonder if 3-4 days is what is needed to clear the head of the stresses of everyday life and then you are in just the right frame of mind to enjoy some company.

bigjim

Legendary Member
the frame on my Dawes Galaxy snapping and after spending a day as a tourist before buying a replacement bike,
I'm more interested in the story behind a galaxy frame snapping. I thought they were the bees? Was it repaired, dumped?

Anthony

jay clock said:
I would say that if doing a really long tour (eg round the world, or through Africa) then the help of a partner in looking after bikes while in a shop etc, would be a massive advantage

I have only done tours in a group so far, but in a couple of years I aim to do a big round the world trip on my own. This question has always puzzled me. How do you look after your bike outside the shop if you are on your own? Of course you can secure the bike, but what about all the panniers, tents, etc?

Can someone with soloing experience answer this please.

Pottsy

Anthony said:
I have only done tours in a group so far, but in a couple of years I aim to do a big round the world trip on my own. This question has always puzzled me. How do you look after your bike outside the shop if you are on your own? Of course you can secure the bike, but what about all the panniers, tents, etc?

Can someone with soloing experience answer this please.

Either leave the bike somewhere you can see it, or put a lock around it.

For brief shop visits for example, I take the handlebar bag with me (passport, camera, money etc. in here) and just leave the panniers on the bike. I suspect this is what most people do.

Top Bottom