touring solo or in company

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Arch said:
You just pedal along while he explains the principles of aerodynamics, engineering etc, and everyso often breaks off to say "Oh, a female marsh harrier".

I bet that doesn't happen too often. Aren't Marsh Harriers one of the rarest birds in the country? Although I often see 1 or sometimes 2 near Goole :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Soltydog said:
I bet that doesn't happen too often. Aren't Marsh Harriers one of the rarest birds in the country? Although I often see 1 or sometimes 2 near Goole :biggrin:

Ah, this was in France...

And it may have been a Hen Harrier, I forget....

Rollon

Ive not done a tour yet but ive walked plenty. I usd towalk with a guy, and enjoyed our day walks. Then did a two week walk with him and after a couple of days he agrivated me to death. Thinking I may have overreacted, I agreed to go with him on another week long walk a couple of years later, same thing happened. Ive not walked with him since. However the four guys that I often go multi day mountaineering with are fine, no problems with them. You certainly can go with the wrong person!
Dave.

gwhite

Über Member
Cunobelin said:
When I tour with my wife she likes everything planned whereas I don't. Apart from weekends as weddings etc can fill accommodation in small places i tend to find a "Book Ahead" service at about lunchtime for that evening.

Equally if I get it disatrously wrong then I am the only one it affects and the compromises are mine. I have stayed in some places where my wife would never even entertain the idea!

This is the main reason I like to tour alone. It's entirely up to me what happens and I'm happy to bear the consequences of my actions. In extremis I tend not to be too choosy, having spent a pleasant night in a sleazy French bar/brothel when pressed for an alternative. Breakfast was pretty good too.;)

earthuman

I'm two weeks into my first big tour and I'm riding alone. I don't mind the long days in the saddle on my own...I've got the freedom to do what I want and plenty of time for my thoughts...but I am a social animal so I really do appreciate company for a beer in the evenings. As such I find couchsurfing and warmshowers.org really useful! Great to meet new people every evening - something to look forward to. And also adds a very new dimension to the tour - stay with locals, eat with locals, drink with locals.
I'm not sure I'd like to spend all day and then the evenings alone...not my cup of tea.

wyno70

Solo for me!

No one else to rely on, get annoyed with, bugger things up for me etc etc etc. I enjoy the time alone with me and the countryside and wouldn't do it any other way.

soltour

Well, I have toured by myself for years, also camped wild ....if there is much wildness about nowadays, and I can honestly say I much prefer meeting folks along the way for a very short time. and then move on. I have looked at this group thing but I know it wouldnt be for me as I like the freedom. I guess I am fortunate in that I hardly ever feel lonely....Peace and quiet is my bag ...and the times I have been invited into homes and stuff .........things just seem to happen along the way

rich p

ridiculous old lush
soltour said:
Well, I have toured by myself for years, also camped wild ....if there is much wildness about nowadays, and I can honestly say I much prefer meeting folks along the way for a very short time. and then move on. I have looked at this group thing but I know it wouldnt be for me as I like the freedom. I guess I am fortunate in that I hardly ever feel lonely....Peace and quiet is my bag ...and the times I have been invited into homes and stuff .........things just seem to happen along the way

Should that be Solotour?:welcome:

User76 said:
But actually I am a miserable, anti-social git who gets pissed off with people easily:sad:

Honestly? Who'd o' thought it? ;);)

shirokazan

Veteran
User76 said:
...But actually I am a miserable, anti-social git who gets pissed off with people easily:sad:

As I've become older, it has been disappointing to realise that this sentiment is very true of me too. ;)

Anyhow, no surprise to reveal that I'm a solo tourer. Last year, I went on a group tour from Calais to the Med. Loved the countryside and the cycling but didn't like being with the other members of the group.

tapan

Solo every time. You meet more people, have to speak the language, see more , stop when you like, bash on when you llke -- and in the wet windy weather you can swear at yourself -- but never at your bike!

andyfromotley

well there i was wandering through this lovely spring meadow of a thread when i came across this big cow pat.

How sad

griff said:
I tour both solo and in others company, so it makes no difference to me. But you on the other hand are obviously different if your postings on travelling light and bike forums are anything to judge you by where you post as antokelly

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Travelling_Light/index.php?showtopic=424

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=580248

I think a trip to the doctor would be more benificial to you than your repeated postings on the same subjects on different forums where your wasting other peoples time. Dont wish to sound harsh towards you but your getting very repetitive in your postings

Top Bottom