touring solo or in company

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jags

Guru
what's the general feeling with you folk's on touring on your own.i know touring with your wife /husband partener is great but when you don't have that chioce,would you prefair solo or company.
obviously i have a reason for asking.

Brains

Legendary Member
With company.

I think on your own would be boring,
I've done the odd weekend on my own, not half as good as with others

P.H

Über Member
There's pros and cons with both.
On your own you don't have to compromise, go where you want when you want, change plans on a whim, stop when you want... You also tend to meet more people, you get into conversations with strangers that you wouldn't have if you'd been in a group. You do have to be more self reliant, there will be times when you feel it's be nice to have someone to share with. And there's no way of splitting any luggage!
In company it can be far more social with many things the opposite of above. If you're not careful you can end up doing exactly as you would at home, just in a different place.
There is a third way!
I've recently had a 8 day tour of West Scotland with a friend. We have different interests and wanted different things from the tour, all agreed before hand. We stayed at the same places, spent a lot of time riding together but without the obligation to stay together. If he wanted to go and see something I didn't off he went, if I wanted to go earlier in the morning I did. If I wanted to go for a blast up the A road and he wanted to do the scenic route, that's what we did. It worked pretty well but has to be understood in the planning stage.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I would make sure i'd had a few rides before the tour to see how you get on :girl:
If you ride at similar pace & want similar things from the tour then good company will be appreciated, however if one is constantly having to slow for the other/others & wants to do differnt things on the tour it could spoil your enjoyment.
i did the TPT with a neighbour & his 2 kids, tbh it was a right pain, bikes not ready for a tour (rusty chains etc) everyone with different fitness levels & pace. It was my first tour & enjoyed it despite this though :smile:
I've done the C2C alone & enjoyed this thouroughly, going at my own pace & doing my own thing, but the hills seemed much harder riding solo :tongue:
This year I did the coast & castle south route with Velocidad & had a great time. This was probably the most enjoyable tour. Day 2 was hard 100 miles in strong winds & some rain & alone I think i would have struggled. We've ridden out plenty prior to the tour though, so knew each other & get on well :tongue: (I think lol)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've done both but much prefer company (usually my wife) but also in groups. I'm fairly gregarious and enjoy a post ride drink and chat with whoever I'm with. Meeting strangers is okay but I prefer to travel with people I know, like and trust.
In general I tend to have a better time with other people, whether it's pointing out interesting bits or cracking a joke, which doesn't seem to work alone.
Having said that I found the daytime riding okay solo but the evenings a bit lonely although I realise that others may not.

snorri

Legendary Member
I have enjoyed several 6-8 week solo tours out of the UK and never been troubled by loneliness. Strangely, I have yearned for some light reading in the English language, but don't miss hearing English spoken as a first language. Sometimes I have met strangers and cycled with them for a few hours or a few days and this can give a good insight to local customs etc.. I don't fancy the regimentation of group touring and no one has suggested coming touring with me:blush:, so I will happily continue to tour solo.:smile:

mike1026

I do all my touring solo I think that you have more opportunity to meet different people I did some of the North Sea route in Holland and Germany in the summer and met dozens of other solo cyclists whereas the groups of cyclists were all engrossed in their own company.

skmc1955

I,ve just done a 4 day tour around Lincolnshire on my own. I enjoyed the riding but being the only tent on each campsite every night looked and felt a bit billy no mates:sad: I think thats when you miss company most. Next time I must pick a more sensible time to go!

MarkF

Guru
Solo, it's "my" time, I don't want to compromise at all. I want to do what I want, when I want and to be able to completely change my plans whenever I feel like it.;)

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I like touring on my own because I enjoy concentrating on the ride itself. However, I have also discovered that somebody with a slightly less bike orientated approach can be good company because they tend to make you stop and look at things more on the way and you still get the miles in in the end.

griff

I tour both solo and in others company, so it makes no difference to me. But you on the other hand are obviously different if your postings on travelling light and bike forums are anything to judge you by where you post as antokelly

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Travelling_Light/index.php?showtopic=424

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=580248

I think a trip to the doctor would be more benificial to you than your repeated postings on the same subjects on different forums where your wasting other peoples time. Dont wish to sound harsh towards you but your getting very repetitive in your postings

Top Bottom