Touring tyres that are good

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
Down to our last Marathon XR tyres, what's your favourite ones the are not available any more? It's a search on the likes of Ebay etc. The newer Schwalbe ones are not dual purpose for road and dirt.

PXL_20221213_091047219.jpg

tyred

Legendary Member
I have had good experience with Continental Tour Ride.

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
They did a lighter updated model of the XR it was the Extreme , wider at about 60mm. Another good tyre discontinued. Everyone knows that you can buy road or MTB tyres what was the point of the above post🥱

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
I have had good experience with Continental Tour Ride.
How are the sidewalls, used to use Continental town&country but the sidewalls cut easily. Says that Tour Ride are a good price. Do they do it with a Kevlar bead ,makes carrying a spare tyre much easier.

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
It's all to do with tread pattern and rubber compound used,that's why XR,s were discontinued they lasted a long time.😄

tyred

Legendary Member
How are the sidewalls, used to use Continental town&country but the sidewalls cut easily. Says that Tour Ride are a good price. Do they do it with a Kevlar bead ,makes carrying a spare tyre much easier.

I've never experienced any problems with sidewalls personally. I have never looked for a kelvar beaded version.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I find my plusses cope with everything I've done thus far on road and off loaded or not.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Vittoria Voyager Hyper for fast touring.

Vittoria Randonneur Pro for laden touring.

Both lean towards road based touring but will handle mild off-road. Both discontinued and replacements not as good. Both

Don’t understand why tyre companies do this. Presume it’s to meet whatever environmental regulations they have.

froze

Über Member
I don't have any favorite old ones no longer made, why do you scream? because the newest touring tires have improved immensely over the old ones, they flat less if at all, they wear a lot longer, and they weigh less. My current touring tire is the Schwalbe Marathon Amotion tire, there is nothing ever made that is better than those tires, unless you want the absolute most flat-resistant and the longest lasting tire on the market, then Schwalbe has that too called the Marathon Plus, but I don't like how those feel when riding, so I settled for second best because they don't give me a sluggish riding feel.

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
I don't have any favorite old ones no longer made, why do you scream? because the newest touring tires have improved immensely over the old ones, they flat less if at all, they wear a lot longer, and they weigh less. My current touring tire is the Schwalbe Marathon Amotion tire, there is nothing ever made that is better than those tires, unless you want the absolute most flat-resistant and the longest lasting tire on the market, then Schwalbe has that too called the Marathon Plus, but I don't like how those feel when riding, so I settled for second best because they don't give me a sluggish riding feel.
Read this ,that tyre is not much use for rough roads/tracks.https://www.cyclingabout.com/schwalbe-tyres-the-best-for-touring/

froze

Über Member
Read this ,that tyre is not much use for rough roads/tracks.https://www.cyclingabout.com/schwalbe-tyres-the-best-for-touring/

That depends on two things, how rough are you talking about, and who's controlling the bike.

I use those tires while loaded with 60 pounds or so for camping/touring and I go down gravel roads, and even some dirt trails and I'm fine with 38c tires, but I was fine doing the same thing on my old bike that could only go as wide as 32c. So a lot of it has to do with the rider. We don't know how rough is rough the poster will be riding on, and if he is going down stuff that is rougher than what I do then the Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour would be more than enough tire to handle it.

Top Bottom