Touring with a speed hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snowy10

Could anyone comment on the pro's and con's of touring with a speed hub rather than a conventional derailleur. Thanks

andym

Über Member
Pros are it's less vulnerable to mud as well as collisions with rocks etc and you can also fit a more durable chain and front cog (is that the right word?). Cons are if it goes wrong then there's no chance of a roadside repair or taking it to a local shop.

So far as I can see you need to oil and clean the chain just as often whichever system you go with, so I'd take with a pinch of salt the sillier claims that people make about the advantages of Rohloffs.

Rohloffs can and do go wrong but in fairness Rohloff have a good reputation for shipping out replacement hubs (or wheels? not sure which)

willem

Über Member
I have one, and I am very happy with it. It is more robust, gearchanges are far easier, and there is less maintenance. I think there can be no argument about its superiority. I am a member of the Dutch cycle touring club, and I think some 75% if their new bikes have the speedhub. I have not yet heard anyone regretting their purchase.
The biggest and for a touring bike really only serious disadvantage is their price. If I was on a limited budget I would prefer a gorgeous frame with derailleurs to a mediocre frame with a Rohloff hub. The bike's feeling is in the frame, after all. In similar vein, I would not replace a good bike with a Rohloff bike. Get one if you are about to buy a new one, but don't if you do not need a new bike.
Willem

Top Bottom