Touring with Road bike attaching pannier/rack question. (Topeak/QR/Rack)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
People tend to buy carbon bikes for lightness and speed, neither of which is important when plodding along on a tour where you need a bike that is rugged enough to take knocks and carry a heavy load, also "road" bikes have narrow tyres unsuitable for the varying road conditions a tourer is likely to encounter.
The Axiom video makes great play of the aerodynamic design, but aerodynamics are not important at touring speeds, also aluminium racks tend to fail at the welds under load IME, better with steel. The narrow top of the Axiom rack will make it difficult to attach luggage securely.

jjb

Über Member
Cycle camping on a carbon-framed road bike?
I really, really wouldn't.
Other frame materials may tend to have more room for error but if this is the bike and the choice is this bike or sit at home, it's quite possible to have an enjoyable time with this bike, imho. The frame is less stressed by a 70kg rider with a 5kg rucksack than by an 80kg average dumpy fellow, seems to me - not saying any of us are dumpy, I hasten to add!

Your goal is to keep the luggage light, and carry it in a way that doesn't multiply the forces on the frame. One of the racks you suggest has a 7kg limit, so looks like you have the luggage weight nice and low, good start.

Of the three options you give, I vote for the axiom streamliner first, because it rests the weight on the axle and allows you to carry impressively bulky stuff while your pal takes the compact heavy stuff. The Axiom Journey is a similar option maybe.

Second best option is the SQR thing, though not a good move if you have a carbon seatpost.

I don't think the beam rack (third option) has any advantages here. The weight sits out further than the SQR, so the forces are higher.

Cycle camping on a carbon-framed road bike?
I really, really wouldn't.

James rode around 4,000 km from Darwin to Perth as part of his Ride to Prevent Suicide on a carbon frame pulling an Extrawheel Voyager trailer. His route included the Gibb River Road

394628_10151076522128690_1746351194_n.jpg

Regards
Andrew

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, using a trailer is a whole 'nother option.
Anyway, just because someone's done it doesn't mean to say it's a good idea.
I still wouldn't go cycle camping on a carbon bike. I defy anyone to get luggage, sleeping bag, tent and all the rest down to the 7kg limit of one of the racks mentioned in the OP. Hells teeth, I've done a weekend tour on a carbon road bike, but my luggage weighed about 3 kg. If I'd taken my tent, sleeping bag and Thermarest that would have gone up to 7 kg and I wouldn't have even had a spare pair of undies...

Top Bottom