Touring with Road bike attaching pannier/rack question. (Topeak/QR/Rack)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

samuel1604l

Hello there, I have a carbon fiber Boardman Road bike which I have it already shipped in France where I am going to do a week touring by myself from Paris to La Rochelle. I know that having pannier on a Race bike is not ideal but I really going to have the least as possible like literally just the minimum and will wash most of my clothes every night; a small pannier then would suffice. I don't want too much to get with the backpack thing since after 5 days this is probably going to be painful for my back (but would do it on the last resort if the rack is not possible).

I was thinking to buy something like that for the rack :

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/en/topeak-qr-beam-rack-rx-1/

but some questions if you guys knows :

1) What's the difference between the E-Type and V-Type
2) Did any of you guys used it, do you like it ?
3) does it fit weel on your bike?
4) Do I need to buy special pannier for this rack
5) Would you suggest some better rack/pannier for this type of road bike?

Thanks for Reading!

lpretro1

If you have a carbon seatpost it would be best to avoid clampinging your pannier rack onto it. If your frame oes not have eyelets for a normal rack then you can fit one using various p-clips.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Probably best to swap out your carbon post for an alloy one. Dellzeqq has used a Carradice SQR setup on his Colnago, with a carbon post, without issues though.

tbtb

If it's a factor for you, the listed weight on the wiggle site is off by 165g. Topeak put these racks at 545g, not wiggle's 380g.

chris-s

I'd go with regular rack and p-clips, that what I used on my Bianchi along with a Carradice Camper Longflap saddlebag and it was great.

Chris

pshore

I have used a seat post rack on a short tour before. It was on my full suspension MTB and I carried 14kg on it (it said 12kg limit).

To be honest, even though it worked, it was a constant worry especially every time I went over a bump. I was just totally paranoid that it would snap and I would have no way to repair it.

I would definitely advise something else like a normal rack with p-clips, or get one that goes to the QR skewer.

If you do go for a seat post rack:
  • make sure it is not quick release (ie has allen key bolts) as I have heard bad things about them.
  • make sure your seat post clamp is very good. If you knock the rack it is easy to spin the seat post round which connects the rack and wheel.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Don't use P-clips on a carbon frame, ever...

Alberto

I purchased one of those topeak straight racks (with side frames) to put on my road bike. Although I could not complain about their performance, it does make the bike feel very weird when loaded. It constantly shakes with every bump, and make the frame flex. I put two ortlieb classics on it with about 5 kg total, and still, made the bike very unstable.

I eventually sold them because I too was scared about snapping the seatpost. Also, the bike behaves very differently, but again, road bikes are not mean to carry much stuff. My adivise:

- Carradice SQR (really happy with it, been on short tours already and you can pack everything you need in one of them)
- QR Skewer with eyelets (and appropiate seat clamp) to attach a normal rack to it. Have friends that went for this option, the only problem is taking the back wheel off in case of punctures. Other than that, a good choice.

Hope this helps

Alberto

jonas123

I would go for the QR skewer. I just don't feel comfortable having a cantilevered rack stuck to my seatpost, and was never a fan of 'crushing' my frame with p-clips.

Zoof

Hello there, I have a carbon fiber Boardman Road bike which I have it already shipped in France where I am going to do a week touring by myself from Paris to La Rochelle. I know that having pannier on a Race bike is not ideal but I really going to have the least as possible like literally just the minimum and will wash most of my clothes every night; a small pannier then would suffice. I don't want too much to get with the backpack thing since after 5 days this is probably going to be painful for my back (but would do it on the last resort if the rack is not possible). I was thinking to buy something like that for the rack : http://www.wiggle.co...beam-rack-rx-1/ but some questions if you guys knows : 1) What's the difference between the E-Type and V-Type 2) Did any of you guys used it, do you like it ? 3) does it fit weel on your bike? 4) Do I need to buy special pannier for this rack 5) Would you suggest some better rack/pannier for this type of road bike? Thanks for Reading!
Hi all I use P Clips then 2 thin-walled stainless steel pipe 15 mm. Down the side's of the pannier carrier resting on the p clips (type) fixed with 2 crossed plastic ties. To this you clip on the panniers. Lower the pipe so that the bottom of the pannier is 23mm from floor. With the weight much lower, this will give you a very stable bike. You will need to make a dérailleur guard, so the pannier wont push on it. You could use the same technique just on the bike frame; a real lightweight rig! if you can make a bracket for the seat stem; this will give you a very lightweight rig! I have used this method for 4k miles, so it's well tried and tested. If you need a pic just let me know and I will post it. Zoof

ellie

Hi there,

I'm assuming you have now completed your touring, hope it was enjoyable. A friend and myself are cycling and camping across France next week so I'm looking to get a rack for my carbon framed road bike, I figured I've got three options, so if anyone can elaborate/inform I would be grateful!

http://www.axiomgear.com/products/gear/racks/streamliner-series/streamliner-road-dlx/
http://www.topeak.com/products/Racks/RXBeamRack_w_side_frameE-Type
http://www.carradice.co.uk/products/other/sqrclamp

Top Bottom