touring with two panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jags

Guru
do any of you guys tour with just two rear panniers and bar bag,
im going to be camping on this trip so where does it all go like, tent/sleeping bag/s mat/cooking stove and pots/cloths/personal stuff and what ever other stuff i need,what's the the best way to pack so as you can get things fairly handy,thanks...

Danny

Legendary Member
It all depends on how light you are prepared to travel. I am sure there will be someone popping up soon who says that they happily tour with just a saddle bag, but I personally like my creature comforts so generally lug a lot of stuff around.

The only way I've succeeded in doing this with two panniers is to lash my mat to the top of my rear rack as this was the bulkiest thing I was carrying. But if you don't have a small one person tent you might have to put that on the rack as well.

Generally I kept one pannier for clothes, personal stuff, and sleeping bag, and the other for my tent, cooking gear, food, and tools.

If you haven't already got panniers, buy the biggest ones you can - something like Carriadice Super C's would be ideal.

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
thanks lads i bought ortlieb bike packer plus panniers and karimor barbag, hilleberg akto tent is not to far away as in its all i need plus a sleeping bag then im set.also i got exped down mat ,as dannyg said i want to go light but i also want to be not wanting for anything ,great advice lads thanks

goo_stewart

I tour with 2 panniers and a bar bag, have even been known to cut that down to 1 pannier and a bar bag. It really does depend on where you are and what you are doing. I need a light bike before I need creature comforts because of the heat and hills in Southeast Asia. Light is essential, cooking/sleeping bags are not necessary.

ASC1951

Guru
A road bike can handle like a drunken barge if you have heavy panniers and a bar bag.

On my last touring bike I had front panniers instead of a bar bag and it was much better. To stop myself loading the whole house onto the bike I only took what I could fit in the rear panniers, before re-packing it in all four. No exceptions.

thePig

I have toured with just a small bar bag, and two rear super Cs and have fitted everything inside the panniers. Including tent & cooking stuff.

I get frustrated when I come back from a tour and realise I lugged around stuff that I didn't need. So I only take the essentials.

It helps to have small lightweight stuff. For example, I use a 3/4 thermarest mattress which when rolled up, will fit in the small back pocket on the pannier.

User said:
I tour with two Super C's and sometime a bar bag. The tent goes on the rack, and the footprint, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, etc. go in one pannier. Clothes, shoes and other items go in the other pannier. Super C's have big pockets, so camping stove, cafetiere and supplies go in the pockets.

Once you've toured a few times, you soon learn top cut down to the essentials. The first few times you go, you realise how much crap you've packed that you'll never use ...:tongue:

Yep, User's got it about right.

Better to have too little than too much, but knowing how much comes with experience.

You can put up with a smelly shirt (although I recommend merino wool jerseys - less smelly), but clean(ish) shorts are essential if you want to avoid a sore crotch/saddle sores.

And the other things people have mentioned.

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
thanks lads so what would be the one think you really need on a tour
never leave home without it,
remember this is a family show?

sadjack

Interesting thread this, came at the right time for me!

I intend to do my first tour this summer and intend to use two rear super c's. I have bought light waterproof stuff sacks, one of which has my tent, sleeping bag and mat in and will sit across the top of the panniers and rear rack.

So following on from Jags's post, what would you more experienced tourers fill the bags with? I like the idea of using one for clothes one for cooking and tools. I'm a terrible hoarder and always pack way too much.

Danny

Legendary Member
I would definitely separate your clothes from your cooking things, tools, and anything else that could get them dirty or covered in oil, fuel, etc.

Also, it is much easier to keep yourself organised if you have all your clothes in one place.

Personally I think you should try to get your sleeping bag into one of your panniers as well (preferably the one for clothes). You don't want too much stuff on top of your rack, and if you don't put it in your pannier you will just fill it up with things you don't really need.

I am not a minimalist camper and like to have my basic comforts. But there is a fine line between basic comfort and over-packing. If you overload your bike you are going to find it heavy to pedal and hard to handle, and most likely won't enjoy your tour.

sadjack

just to pick up on jag's question, although i have yet to cycle tour I have done a fair bit of camping and the one thing I would always have with me is a blinking cork screw! I hate having to break the neck of the bottle, after all you loose some of the stuff!!

sadjack said:
just to pick up on jag's question, although i have yet to cycle tour I have done a fair bit of camping and the one thing I would always have with me is a blinking cork screw! I hate having to break the neck of the bottle, after all you loose some of the stuff!!

Just get a screw-top, or a three-litre box! :biggrin:

Brains

Legendary Member
2 pannier touring;

Clothes in one
Food/cooking gear in t'other
Sleeping bag and tent inner and outer in the 15 liter canoe dry bag on the rack between the panniers
tent poles strapped to the underside of the top tube
Tent pegs strapped to lower seat post
Fuel in fuel bottle mounted in bottle cadge to underside of downtube
Camera, Money, maps, etc in bar bag

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
hope this dosen't sound daft ,but what about balance if i put my cloths plus s/bag a/mat in one pannier then all my other gear in other i reckon my cloths are going to out weigh the other.thanks everyone i guess ill figure it out somehow..

Top Bottom