Town car for Mrs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
Mrs.Milzy needs a run around town car. Budget 4K but at a push 5k max.
Fiat 500’s are very well liked. Not sure on Fix It Again Tony though. However I’ve seen Mazda catastrophicly fail MOT’s after only a couple of years. It’s a minefield at this price point.

Any recommendations will be welcomed. Have a great weekend!

:smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Skoda Fabia :smile:

But if it's for her and she likes the 500 then she should have one of those. They are probably fairly high priced though due to popularity so buy carefully. I don't think Fiats are any more u reliable than other marques.

I guess a mini might be another option

mustang1

Guru
A bit stylish: Fiat 500 like you said.
Rather reliable: Toyota Yaris
And a bit smaller: Toyota Aygo
A bit nippy: Ford Fiesta
Jap version: Mazda 2
Blended in: Vauxhall Corsa
A bouncy ride: Suzuki Swift
A cut above: VW Polo
A cut of sport: Seat Ibiza
Czek Charm: Skoda Fabia
Space race: Nissan Note
More space: Honda Jazz
Not as much space: Nissan Micra

AndyRM

XOXO
Still a Fiat, but I'd recommend a Panda. Ours is 13 years old, been all over the country and still going strong. Fun to drive, cheap to run and surprisingly spacious.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Nice for running about town, good driver position, plenty of space

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/land-rov...157021?hash=item28629d229d:g:uz8AAOSwOvRbZ15Z

s-l1600.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A bit stylish: Fiat 500 like you said.
Rather reliable: Toyota Yaris
And a bit smaller: Toyota Aygo
A bit nippy: Ford Fiesta
Jap version: Mazda 2
Blended in: Vauxhall Corsa
A bouncy ride: Suzuki Swift
A cut above: VW Polo
A cut of sport: Seat Ibiza
Czek Charm: Skoda Fabia
Space race: Nissan Note
More space: Honda Jazz
Not as much space: Nissan Micra
Did you used to work as a car salesman?

Mrs.Milzy needs a run around town car. Budget 4K but at a push 5k max.
Fiat 500’s are very well liked. Not sure on Fix It Again Tony though
:smile:
Don't forget there's a premium, for what is essentially a Panda

I can't 'knock' Fiats personally, as we've had 9 (I think?), including 3 Pandas (all bought new, barring a Tempra)
The only two we had issues with was a 'J plated' Uno, that cooked the battery (alternator went mental), but it was only a few months old, so a warranty job
The other was the Tempra estate...…..
Eg;
Snake Pass. dsgddfl.jpg YC61 GLK. 4.JPG YG64 DWY. 1.jpg

Skoda Fabia :smile:
I guess a mini might be another option
+1 for a Fabia here too (but I/m biased with having an Octavia, & previously we had a Fabia estate - best small car I'd driven at that point)
Or a CitiGo, rather smaller (wanted daughter to have one, but she wanted something else)
Motoring. Skoda. Fabia. YK03 BUJ. Shiney. April 2004.JPG

Not far off the £ of a brand new/ 1-2yr Dacia Sandero... Bland but cheap to run
The (low) cost of them is still astonishing!

:okay::okay::okay::okay::okay::okay:

My last Landie was a Td5 Station Wagon, still miss it
Mine was the 'Heritage' edition, so a bit posher than normal - yes, the seats & white dials were 'factory'
The upgraded lighting was by me

Defender. S50 RAT. Green-Laning. North Yorkshire. Pockstones Moor. 4.JPG Defender. S50 RAT. Technical. Electrical. Instrument Panel. 3.JPG Defender. S50 RAT. Technical. Interior. Overall View. 1.JPG Defender. S50 RAT. Technical. Electrical. NAS. Tail-Light. 6.JPG

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't forget there's a premium, for what is essentially a Panda

I can't 'knock' Fiats personally, as we've had 9 (I think?), including 3 Pandas (all bought new, barring a Tempra)
The only two we had issues with was a 'J plated' Uno, that cooked the battery (alternator went mental), but it was only a few months old, so a warranty job
The other was the Tempra estate...…..
Eg;
View attachment 423853 View attachment 423855 View attachment 423856

+1 for a Fabia here too (but I/m biased with having an Octavia, & previously we had a Fabia estate - best small car I'd driven at that point)
Or a CitiGo, rather smaller (wanted daughter to have one, but she wanted something else)
View attachment 423845

The (low) cost of them is still astonishing!

:okay::okay::okay::okay::okay::okay:

My last Landie was a Td5 Station Wagon, still miss it
Mine was the 'Heritage' edition, so a bit posher than normal - yes, the seats & white dials were 'factory'
The upgraded lighting was by me

View attachment 423841 View attachment 423842 View attachment 423844 View attachment 423843
I'm rather fond of my Rallye Green Fabia VRS estate, had for 5 years. Practical and good fun.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
To be honest I'd be spending something like £1200 for the envisaged use and not be too concerned with make and and model. If it has a year's mot, drives OK without any obvious faults and doesn't look rusty, your good to go. My current rather larger car (Saab) is worth maybe that having paid £2500 7 years ago. Big executive cars are stonking value too, but my Mrs hates parking it in town as it is too big

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
got a 10 year old Honda Jazz to replace our beloved Golf Estate after the head gasket blew and really can't speak too highly of it. 10 years old and 130,000 miles on the clock, cost barely upwards of a grand and it looks and drives like a new car. The seats are like new, everything works immaculately, not a shake or a rattle anywhere. Excellent to drive (we got the 1.3 Sport version), unbelievable amount of storage space, economical on the juice - really can't fault it or recommend it too highly.

VW Up, Skoda Citigo and Seat Mii are all identical bar the branding and are ace little cars. You can get a nearly new Up comfortably within the budget, so knock off the VW premium and the Seat and Skoda should be a bit less, or even more car for the money.

Top Bottom