Town car for Mrs?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Milzy, 11 Aug 2018.

1. Milzy

Milzy Veteran

Mrs.Milzy needs a run around town car. Budget 4K but at a push 5k max.
    Fiat 500’s are very well liked. Not sure on Fix It Again Tony though. However I’ve seen Mazda catastrophicly fail MOT’s after only a couple of years. It’s a minefield at this price point.

Any recommendations will be welcomed. Have a great weekend!

:smile:

2. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Skoda Fabia :smile:

But if it's for her and she likes the 500 then she should have one of those. They are probably fairly high priced though due to popularity so buy carefully. I don't think Fiats are any more u reliable than other marques.

I guess a mini might be another option

Milzy and screenman like this.
  3. mustang1

mustang1 Veteran

A bit stylish: Fiat 500 like you said.
    Rather reliable: Toyota Yaris
    And a bit smaller: Toyota Aygo
    A bit nippy: Ford Fiesta
    Jap version: Mazda 2
    Blended in: Vauxhall Corsa
    A bouncy ride: Suzuki Swift
    A cut above: VW Polo
    A cut of sport: Seat Ibiza
    Czek Charm: Skoda Fabia
    Space race: Nissan Note
    More space: Honda Jazz
    Not as much space: Nissan Micra

HLaB, Milzy, Diogenes and 1 other person like this.
  4. AndyRM

AndyRM Guru

Still a Fiat, but I'd recommend a Panda. Ours is 13 years old, been all over the country and still going strong. Fun to drive, cheap to run and surprisingly spacious.

Milzy likes this.
  5. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

Sounds a good swap to me

alicat, Beebo, Drago and 1 other person like this.
  6. BromptonChrispy

BromptonChrispy Regular

Honda jazz automatic. Ace fold down rear seats perfectly able to fit a bike into it.

7. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Women love fiat 500s there so easy to drive and park in town
    Swift are also good as are Ibizas

8. T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T Disc brakes - Stopping things since 1902

Not far off the £ of a brand new/ 1-2yr Dacia Sandero... Bland but cheap to run

9. Diogenes

Diogenes Guru

Nice for running about town, good driver position, plenty of space

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/land-rov...157021?hash=item28629d229d:g:uz8AAOSwOvRbZ15Z

s-l1600.jpg

10. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

Did you used to work as a car salesman?

Milzy likes this.
  11. Don't forget there's a premium, for what is essentially a Panda

I can't 'knock' Fiats personally, as we've had 9 (I think?), including 3 Pandas (all bought new, barring a Tempra)
    The only two we had issues with was a 'J plated' Uno, that cooked the battery (alternator went mental), but it was only a few months old, so a warranty job
    The other was the Tempra estate...…..
    Eg;
    Snake Pass. dsgddfl.jpg YC61 GLK. 4.JPG YG64 DWY. 1.jpg

+1 for a Fabia here too (but I/m biased with having an Octavia, & previously we had a Fabia estate - best small car I'd driven at that point)
    Or a CitiGo, rather smaller (wanted daughter to have one, but she wanted something else)
    Motoring. Skoda. Fabia. YK03 BUJ. Shiney. April 2004.JPG

The (low) cost of them is still astonishing!

:okay::okay::okay::okay::okay::okay:

My last Landie was a Td5 Station Wagon, still miss it
    Mine was the 'Heritage' edition, so a bit posher than normal - yes, the seats & white dials were 'factory'
    The upgraded lighting was by me

Defender. S50 RAT. Green-Laning. North Yorkshire. Pockstones Moor. 4.JPG Defender. S50 RAT. Technical. Electrical. Instrument Panel. 3.JPG Defender. S50 RAT. Technical. Interior. Overall View. 1.JPG Defender. S50 RAT. Technical. Electrical. NAS. Tail-Light. 6.JPG

mustang1, Drago and T.M.H.N.E.T like this.
  12. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

I'm rather fond of my Rallye Green Fabia VRS estate, had for 5 years. Practical and good fun.

Milzy and Richard A Thackeray like this.
  13. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

To be honest I'd be spending something like £1200 for the envisaged use and not be too concerned with make and and model. If it has a year's mot, drives OK without any obvious faults and doesn't look rusty, your good to go. My current rather larger car (Saab) is worth maybe that having paid £2500 7 years ago. Big executive cars are stonking value too, but my Mrs hates parking it in town as it is too big

mustang1, Milzy and raleighnut like this.
  14. swee'pea99

swee'pea99 Legendary Member

got a 10 year old Honda Jazz to replace our beloved Golf Estate after the head gasket blew and really can't speak too highly of it. 10 years old and 130,000 miles on the clock, cost barely upwards of a grand and it looks and drives like a new car. The seats are like new, everything works immaculately, not a shake or a rattle anywhere. Excellent to drive (we got the 1.3 Sport version), unbelievable amount of storage space, economical on the juice - really can't fault it or recommend it too highly.

dave r and Milzy like this.
  15. Specialeyes

Specialeyes Über Member

VW Up, Skoda Citigo and Seat Mii are all identical bar the branding and are ace little cars. You can get a nearly new Up comfortably within the budget, so knock off the VW premium and the Seat and Skoda should be a bit less, or even more car for the money.

SpokeyDokey likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice