Town car for Mrs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
As @Richard A Thackeray has pointed out, the 500 is a Panda in a posh frock, with slightly less practicality and a price premium.
But if that's the car your good lady wants, there are lots to choose from so no need to end up with a bad one. Just be aware that the Twin-Air model gets nowhere near the claimed mpg - I think it once topped a survey for the biggest difference between claimed and actual mpg.

Also worthy of a look are the Citroen C1 / Peugeot 107 / Toyota Aygo, which are fairly fun to drive, get consistently good reviews, are very well specced and cost pennies to run. I'm considering a C1 next time myself.

Or the VW Up! / Skoda Citygo / Seat Mii which again get good reviews

A friend runs a Kia Picanto and raves about it - he's 6ft 3 and gets him, his wife and their two kids in.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
VW Up, Skoda Citigo and Seat Mii are all identical bar the branding and are ace little cars. You can get a nearly new Up comfortably within the budget, so knock off the VW premium and the Seat and Skoda should be a bit less, or even more car for the money.

Lovely Wife has a High up!.

Smashing little car - aircon, heated seats, satnav, bluetooth etc. Feels like a bigger quality car inside, great economy, ideal around town and easily keeps up with motorway traffic whenever the occasion arises. early ones are at the OP's budget level at the dealers and below that privately.

One of the best cars we have ever owned and we've had more than a few luxury beasts before we downshifted on the 4 wheel front.

Drago

Legendary Member
Peugeot 107/Citroen C1 (original models).

Robust, £20 or free car tax (depending on year), nippy enough if she does need to venture out of town, cheap and easy to work on, a hoot to drive, genuine 60+ MPG ability. The Aygo of the same generation is a partial redesign of the body by Toyota to distinguish it from its cousins, but Toyota muffed it up and they're very prone to cabin water leaks which Toyota never managed to cure during the production cycle. Easily as capable as the VW group triplets, rather (actually, a lot) more reliable than the VW group triplets, and you're not putting money in the pockets of a company with low morals like VW.

You could spend a lot more, and get a lot less. I'm presuming she won't want anything too oddball like a Smart or Twizy, in which case there is no better choice of city scoot for your budget.

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

Peugeot 107/Citroen C1 (original models).

Robust, £20 or free car tax (depending on year), nippy enough if she does need to venture out of town, cheap and easy to work on, a hoot to drive, genuine 60+ MPG ability. The Aygo of the same generation is a partial redesign of the body by Toyota to distinguish it from its cousins, but Toyota muffed it up and they're very prone to cabin water leaks with Toyota never managed to cure during the production cycle. Easily as capable as the VW group triplets, rather more reliable than the VW group triplets, and you're not putting money in the pockets of a company with low morals like VW.

You could spend a lot more, and get a lot less.

Re triplets reliability:

Three up's! in our village, inc' ours, and all are highly thought of by their owners and not one has had a problem. I'm really fussy with things like cars (and bikes!) and ours has never had a problem that needed attending to, in or out of warranty, which it now is. Not even a trim rattle to attend to which is amazing considering the roads we drive over where we live.

My mate also has two up's! in his family (daughter's cars) and likewise. Same story with two older ladies that we have, by some circuitous route, dealings with.

Just for balance. ^_^

Drago

Legendary Member
Love these threads. Pure gold. Sexist, knob-jousting, bequiffed Swiss Toni chatter within half an hour. Gold.

You have serious issues if you think recommending a Citroen C1 is a display of "knob-jousting". Clearly the bar is set very low for you. I drive a Smart ForTwo, so by your logic I must be hugely well endowed.

Re triplets reliability:

Three up's! in our village, inc' ours, and all are highly thought of by their owners and not one has had a problem. I'm really fussy with things like cars (and bikes!) and ours has never had a problem that needed attending to, in or out of warranty, which it now is. Not even a trim rattle to attend to which is amazing considering the roads we drive over where we live.

My mate also has two up's! in his family (daughter's cars) and likewise. Same story with two older ladies that we have, by some circuitous route, dealings with.

Just for balance. ^_^

No, that's a fair point. For every bad 'un there will be plenty of good ones. Nevertheless, they are more prone to issues, which undermines any justification for a higher asking price than the PSA cars. A surf of the owners club forum will be quite educational.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You have serious issues if you think recommending a Citroen C1 is a display of "knob-jousting". Clearly the bar is set very low for you.

Or he has a tiny willy.

SpokeyDokey

You have serious issues if you think recommending a Citroen C1 is a display of "knob-jousting". Clearly the bar is set very low for you. I drive a Smart ForTwo, so by your logic I must be hugely well endowed.

No, that's a fair point. For every bad 'un there will be plenty of good ones. Nevertheless, they are more prone to issues, which undermines any justification for a higher asking price than the PSA cars. A surf of the owners club forum will be quite educational.

We belong to the forum. Not that we go on it much anymore and there will always be issues with most cars whatever the make and model if the population is large enough. On the whole owners on that forum tend to rave about their up's!

This is the one we belong to - quite handy for queries esp' re over-priced cambelt changes!:

http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/

Cavalol

Guru
I bought one of the new Vauxhall Vivas end of 2015. Brilliant little car, even the 'base' of the two models had a great spec with cruise control, a 'lane bonger' that sounded if you crossed white lines accidentally and whatnot. Anyhow, great little car, brilliant on fuel and nice to drive. It's not one for the badge snobs so should be a bit cheaper than other similar cars.

I'm rather fond of my Rallye Green Fabia VRS estate, had for 5 years. Practical and good fun.
They are indeed!!!
I've had mine for over 6 years
Considered a vRS, , when we got that, but I keep thinking about an Octavia 4x4 estate Tdi, but not the Scout

VW Up, Skoda Citigo and Seat Mii are all identical bar the branding and are ace little cars. You can get a nearly new Up comfortably within the budget, so knock off the VW premium and the Seat and Skoda should be a bit less, or even more car for the money.
Indeed they are!!!
Likewise; the old 'Shalambraxy'

(VW Sharan, SEAT Alhambra, Ford Galaxy)

I bought one of the new Vauxhall Vivas end of 2015. Brilliant little car, even the 'base' of the two models had a great spec with cruise control, a 'lane bonger' that sounded if you crossed white lines accidentally and whatnot. Anyhow, great little car, brilliant on fuel and nice to drive. It's not one for the badge snobs so should be a bit cheaper than other similar cars.
Tried to talk daughter into one of those, due to the prices, when she decided she didn't want a CitoGo, or a (new) Dacia

She wasn't too keen, but then again...… 17 year old:rolleyes:

Drago

Legendary Member

Lifetime/100,000 mile warranty if you get it serviced at Vauxhall, although whether Vaxhall will be around in 3 years time is open to question.

Top Bottom