Toyota aygo bike carrier

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazza81

Über Member
Ive got a aygo as a second car, the mrs is away with our main car and i want to put the rear bike rack on the aygo.
Just wondering has anyone done this?
Not sure i trust the rear window

raggydoll

Über Member
Never done it but I'd be the same as you. I wouldn't feel safe resting a bike rack on a rear window, especially with pot holes, speed bumps etc.

Drago

Legendary Member
Roof bars is the only option.

It's an all glass hatch, so can't use a strap on (paging @Fnaar )

They're not type approved for towing, so no one makes a towbar, so towbar racks aren't an option.

So it's cram it inside, or up on the roof. Used the roof option years back when I had a 107 and it worked just fine.

Adam4868

Guru
I've been to France in my mums Yaris with my bike on the back,never gave it a second thought.Saris bones rack.I think there similar cars ?

DRM

Guru
I've been to France in my mums Yaris with my bike on the back,never gave it a second thought.Saris bones rack.I think there similar cars ?
Nothing like, the hatch on an Aygo is simply a hinged piece of glass, I wouldn’t trust it at all, same as the Peugeot and Citroen versions of the same car, roof bars are the way to go

Adam4868

Guru
Nothing like, the hatch on an Aygo is simply a hinged piece of glass, I wouldn’t trust it at all, same as the Peugeot and Citroen versions of the same car, roof bars are the way to go
Ah ok,thought they were similar.

LonesomeWanderer

Über Member
I can fit my bike inside the back of ours surprisingly easily (taking off both wheels of course). I used to do it every weekend....

netman

Veteran
Yeah, used to have an Aygo too and checked with Toyota - it's a no-no on the rear hatch because of the construction. I used to put mine in the back with the seats down too, or on roof bars on top. If it's a mk1 Aygo 5 door (2005-11 I think) I may have a set of Toyota roof bars for sale if you want them?

tyred

Legendary Member
I have a Peugeot 205 which is probably similar in size and never had any trouble with putting bikes in it with the front wheel removed. Even a Pashley carrier cycle fits.

If possible I would always prefer to have the bike inside as putting it on the roof will do horrible things to the aerodynamics and I'd image cause a lot of wind noise at anything much above urban speeds. It also may not fit into carparks with height restrictions.

Drago

Legendary Member
Wheels off, seats down should be the solution. Tarp or old sheet if the bike is going to be mucky.
Thats doable, but do you really want a bike in your ear in the event of a crash? Unsecured cargo and rear seat passengers are as big a risk to those in the front as the collision itself.

I have the same problem with my Honda Civic - glass hatch door so there is no way I am putting the clips for the bike rack on there!

Luckily the car is bigger than yours so I can just about fit the bike in even with both wheels still on.

On the subject of aero - I used to have a Yaris (X reg) and once took 3 bikes on it from Bangor (N. Wales) to Manchester using a rear rack on the hatchback door. We had done it several times but this time there was a head wind. The car would just about manage 50 in 4th gear - 5th gear just made the car slow due to the ratios - and that was with my foot flat on the floor!
Used loads more fuel - not surprisingly!

Top Bottom