Toyota aygo bike carrier

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thats doable, but do you really want a bike in your ear in the event of a crash? Unsecured cargo and rear seat passengers are as big a risk to those in the front as the collision itself.

Bungee cord or seatbelt. TBH I recon the OP could lie the bike down. Road or Hybrid will go in easy provided there is no mudguards. A trail bike may be a little trickier, but I can get mine in my saloon car with the dropper down (lay down). Easy peasy with the road bike, not so the trail bike.

I used to get my road bike in the boot of my Metro, wheels off, but 'stood up' ! They are pretty handy these small hatches, much more so than a 'saloon' with a traditional boot.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have the same problem with my Honda Civic - glass hatch door so there is no way I am putting the clips for the bike rack on there!

Luckily the car is bigger than yours so I can just about fit the bike in even with both wheels still on.

On the subject of aero - I used to have a Yaris (X reg) and once took 3 bikes on it from Bangor (N. Wales) to Manchester using a rear rack on the hatchback door. We had done it several times but this time there was a head wind. The car would just about manage 50 in 4th gear - 5th gear just made the car slow due to the ratios - and that was with my foot flat on the floor!
Used loads more fuel - not surprisingly!

My car isn't particularly economical, I can get 40 mpg out of it on a run driving like a granny, but same run with 4 bikes drops about 12 mpg. Don't mention running at the speed limit with 4 bikes, or quicker.... thirsty. Cost is minimal as I'm not doing that every day though, and the car's low mileage and 'old'.

Fortunately, headwinds don't slow it down, other than burns fuel rather quickly. :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
Talon bot a wise idea on the Aygo, where the window isnt mpbonded in and properly supported, but is rather held in olace by 2 bolts at the top hinges. Any forces applied through the glass will be concentrated at those points and, kerblammo!

LonesomeWanderer

Über Member
Talon bot a wise idea on the Aygo, where the window isnt mpbonded in and properly supported, but is rather held in olace by 2 bolts at the top hinges. Any forces applied through the glass will be concentrated at those points and, kerblammo!
And “bolts” is a bit of an exaggeration - ther’re a couple of pins and on ours I often find one of them working it’s way out sideways....

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If the Aygo is like it's Citroen / Peugeot counterparts, roof bars are only an option on the 5dr model - the 3dr has nowhere to mount them.

I had a Citroen C1 and the bike went in, just, but as it was a 5dr I got roof bars.

Drago

Legendary Member
If the Aygo is like it's Citroen / Peugeot counterparts, roof bars are only an option on the 5dr model - the 3dr has nowhere to mount them.

I had a Citroen C1 and the bike went in, just, but as it was a 5dr I got roof bars.
You can get roof bars for the 3 door from Pig/Cit at least. Had them on mine. The foot goes on to the edge of the roof and the clampy bit goes in the contour above the rear side window, no probs. Not sure if Toyota do one for the Aygo thought, but as pug and shitruin do it the potential is there.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
You can get roof bars for the 3 door from Pig/Cit at least. Had them on mine. The foot goes on to the edge of the roof and the clampy bit goes in the contour above the rear side window, no probs. Not sure if Toyota do one for the Aygo thought, but as pug and shitruin do it the potential is there.

When I bought the C1 roof bars were only available for the 5 door, but looking at their website that's changed now, so as you say this probably carries over to it's Pug and Toyota brethren.

The bars clamped into a pre-drilled hole in the top the the door apertures, so they must have changed how they fit.

As an aside the "OE Citroen" roof bars and bike carriers might have been branded Citroen but were made by Thule.

DRM

Guru
When I bought the C1 roof bars were only available for the 5 door, but looking at their website that's changed now, so as you say this probably carries over to it's Pug and Toyota brethren.

The bars clamped into a pre-drilled hole in the top the the door apertures, so they must have changed how they fit.

As an aside the "OE Citroen" roof bars and bike carriers might have been branded Citroen but were made by Thule.
Don't forget we are now onto a MK2 Toyota Aygo, along with it's Citroen/Peugeot cousins, I don't think they make a 3 door anymore, so they may have designed roofbars in from the get go

Top Bottom