Toys Hill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Try telling us who live in that neck of the woods something we don't know..:thumbsup:
All along that ridge the roads are steep. London Road, Ide Hill, Hosey Common, Titsey Hill and Toys Hill.

Now.. if you really want to test yourself. Go to Cudham. Not far from Toys.
Where there is a short but very steep 25%er. Especially tough as it has a nasty camber and is a dog leg.

Reactions: gaz
OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
It's probably my favourite hill. No matter how often I climb it I still find it a challenge. It's very easy to approach it too quickly and if you do, you're in trouble just after Puddledock Lane imho.

I'm not at all ashamed to say I had to walk the steepest 100m or so, but I did get back on again before the top.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm not at all ashamed to say I had to walk the steepest 100m or so, but I did get back on again before the top.
I've never walked it but when I first started riding it I did stop on the first couple of attempts for a breather at Puddledock Lane.

It's not made easier by the quality of the road service on the southern side but I recommend switching to a fairly low gear once you're under the trees. I can usually make it up with a gear to spare now but occasionally it still catches me out.

trampyjoe

Now.. if you really want to test yourself. Go to Cudham. Not far from Toys.
Where there is a short but very steep 25%er. Especially tough as it has a nasty camber and is a dog leg.
Berry's Hill per chance?
Had family friends who lived in a house at the bottom (possibly still do), for some reason my old man used to love driving the car up it in the snow! No way I'd want to cycle up it (but then I'm more than a bit crap).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Berry's Hill per chance?
Had family friends who lived in a house at the bottom (possibly still do), for some reason my old man used to love driving the car up it in the snow! No way I'd want to cycle up it (but then I'm more than a bit crap).

No, Downe Road

vickster

Legendary Member
That brings back some memories, spent much of my later teens / early 20s drinking in the Fox and Hounds or getting lost while driving around there! I don't think the old dear runs the pubs now, she had no till, sold Harp(!) and also had sweets behind the bar.

Never cycled it though!

martint235

Dog on a bike
Not sure where Kidds Hill is. Toys Hill can appear like a wall particularly as you turn the corner half way up to see it rising again.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Not sure where Kidds Hill is. Toys Hill can appear like a wall particularly as you turn the corner half way up to see it rising again.
It's on the Hell of the Ashdown route, near Forest Row irrc, in the Ashdown Forest. Makes Toys Hill look gentle.:wacko: Dead straight. Just goes up. Has two seperate chevrons too.

I like riding the Hell of Ashdown route in the autumn with me mates* because the beautiful colours of the leaves takes my mind of the pain in my legs and lungs.

*which usually means it is me on my todd!

Top Bottom