Toys of your youth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slioch

Guru
I had one of these when I was young :whistle:
rolf.jpg

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Can you tell what it is yet?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
When I was about 10, we, (myself and my cousin of similar age) found a round of live ammunition (ie a bullet), in the street, Goodness knows where it came from. We retired to his dad's "shed", which was brick built. We clamped the bullet in the vice, and, struck the firing pin end with a hammer and nail. Needless to say, this resulted in the bullet being fired. It ricocheted around the interior of the shed, and, eventually exited via the window. Other than the broken window, by some miracle, other than the broken window, no injuries were incurred. Cousin had his pocket money stopped for a month because of broken window.

Happy days.
The bullet tends to not go very far at all, but the casing turns into a mini grenade and can send shrapnel in all directions. I was only brave enough (read stupid enough) to try a .22 round.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'm surprised there's been little mention of board games.

We had a decent collection including Formula 1, Totopoly (horse racing), and Mine a Million (mineral mining).

Also Scoop! (newspapers) and the inevitable Monopoly, although that was our least favourite.

Never quite got on with Cluedo, although lots of people did.

I had cluedo and monopoly, but loved mine a million which a mate had. As an adult playing cluedo with my nephews I realise there's a lot more information flying around the players than I'd appreciated as a kid. Risk's another game I enjoyed and tended to do well at.

And the Colditz game, no one mentioned that yet. I temember it being rather good, though didn't have a set myself

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I recall having a Man from U.N.C.L.E gun, a broom-handled Mauser, I think it was.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The bullet tends to not go very far at all, but the casing turns into a mini grenade and can send shrapnel in all directions. I was only brave enough (read stupid enough) to try a .22 round.

My dad and his pals fired a 9mm round they'd got hold of, presumably for a Sten gun by banging a nail into it. They also got their hands on my grandad's Luger, a souvenir from 1918, but my grandad sensibly got rid of it, so thankfully they never had the Luger and bullets at the same time - and it took the same round as the Sten, and they'd already got hold of one. I naturally searched the barn for the Luger as a kid, but it was long gone; probably just as well, as it would have been tempting to hang on to but very seriously illegal these days

Last edited:

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
My first cool bike, a Schwinn Stingray (well, cool for a 10-year old, in the mid-60's) No hand brakes or disc brakes, extra gears, GPS, Helmets, suspension, radio, lights. Not even a water bottle or a cage for one. Just a BIKE! About my only accessory was a baseball card held against the back spokes with a clothes pin (for that great motorcycle sound.) All stingrays had "banana seats" but boy were they sorta uncomfortable! Were these kid's bikes ever on your side of the pond?

Stingray.png

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Very much a 'Meccano Boy', big Meccano set, Hornby Dublo, lots of Dinky toys, and Supertoys. I sold most of the Dinky toys to fund my first 'proper' bike build in my early teens - Ted Gerrard frame, Campag everything, tubs - the real thing! The remaining Dinkys were sold recently to help fund a house move. I still have the Dublo - and much more as I've added to the collection over the years. The Meccano has gone, but I still have my sister's Bayko sets 3 and 3A. Still enjoy looking through Meccano Magazines from those more innocent days ......

We also during and just after the war have real revolvers which we played with but fortunately no ammo. Naturally adults were never informed of this. They were smuggled back as souvenirs by big brothers who served in the army.
In those days also every schoolboy had a penknife in his pocket. Never heard of anyone getting stabbed.
We had a school scout troop that met after school on Mondays
hence on Mondays you could wear Scout uniform instead of school uniform if you were in the Scouts
and it we were doing camping/woodcraft type stuff it was considered OK to have a knife on your belt
I would just walk around with my Dad's old Scout knife on my belt all day - it has a 4 inch blade - and no-one would even comment!!!!!

When I was a teacher in a school with 'challenging' pupils many years later I mentioned this
the younger teacher were horrified - but the older ones just nodded - Scouts and knives were a thing then!

Top Bottom