Toys of your youth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Sorry if it's been mentioned before,but did any of you have the Arnold Palmer golf game?

1621944543639.png

I remember a lad bringing his into junior school in 1970,when we had a 'bring your favourite toy to school day'.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm surprised there's been little mention of board games.

We had a decent collection including Formula 1, Totopoly (horse racing), and Mine a Million (mineral mining).

Also Scoop! (newspapers) and the inevitable Monopoly, although that was our least favourite.

Never quite got on with Cluedo, although lots of people did.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
And they all had one of those things for getting boy scouts out of horses hooves.
Now you have me worried. I have, or had a very comprehensive one which I was told had come from Lord BP himself. It was given me by my father's employer Major Salveson Retd. who had been given it by the great man himself. I am not guilty of throwing things out anyway but it occurs to me that I have not seen it for some time and a quick search does not find it. Probably lurking in some "safe" place. I hope.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Speaking of Space Hoppers, there was a large lass in Sunderland who made a series of complaints of indecent assault.

These were deemed to be false by the coppers, who rather unkindly nicknamed her the Space Hopper.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Sorry if it's been mentioned before,but did any of you have the Arnold Palmer golf game?

View attachment 590540

I remember a lad bringing his into junior school in 1970,when we had a 'bring your favourite toy to school day'.

no, we had the real thing... and its still there today

1621947441196.png

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
We also during and just after the war have real revolvers which we played with but fortunately no ammo. Naturally adults were never informed of this. They were smuggled back as souvenirs by big brothers who served in the army.
In those days also every schoolboy had a penknife in his pocket. Never heard of anyone getting stabbed.

When I was about 10, we, (myself and my cousin of similar age) found a round of live ammunition (ie a bullet), in the street, Goodness knows where it came from. We retired to his dad's "shed", which was brick built. We clamped the bullet in the vice, and, struck the firing pin end with a hammer and nail. Needless to say, this resulted in the bullet being fired. It ricocheted around the interior of the shed, and, eventually exited via the window. Other than the broken window, by some miracle, no injuries were incurred. Cousin had his pocket money stopped for a month because of broken window.

Happy days.

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Did we ever feel in danger? Not once.
Hmm. One sunny Saturday as a teenager I ignored all the warnings from my parents, the painted signs and the barbed wire fences, and took some mates to the local abandoned brickworks; we all went swimming in the flooded claypit and had a fantastic time.

Sadly, a guy from my after-school job got into difficulties doing exactly the same thing the next day, and drowned.
I didn't found out until I reported to work on Monday afternoon.

Had I told him of my swimming plans in advance I wold have felt responsible for leading him to his death, but this was complete coincidence; although I still have some sense of survivor's guilt, decades later.

Top Bottom