Toys of your youth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I loved the Witches hat. If you really went for it you could jump it off the pole apparently. Never saw it done though.
If it had been possible I am sure our lot would have managed it.

You can't even cut your knees open these days. You bounce if you fall off stuff.

I worked for a few months at a Jugendfarm in Stuttgart, which is a bit like a city farm but here is more a supervised playground. It includes a "hut village" where kids can build a hut out of wood. This has a "city wall", which is a 2m high catwalk, with no fences, generally built and repaired by the children.
In eight months only one child fell off.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I never really had many of the "in" toys becasue they were too expensive. I did have a He-Man figure from a jumble sale. I mostly played with Marbles (though it was often on my own!) and a little keyboard.

At school it was marbles, until someone through a king size ballbearing through the headmasters window so they got banned. Conkers got phased out in the late 80's, in favour of Garbage Pail Kids (collectable cards).

lazybloke

Considering a new username
yep - my local playground had one of those - kids hardly ever spun it - just did the bumps. Same place had a truly terrifying rocking (bucking the way the kids used it) horse thing. Its nose was broken off due to a serious buck in the past. All on a concrete base of course. Even as a kid I was surprised that such things were allowed.
"Rocking horse" is such a gentle name. How misleading.
Evil nags!!

I assumed they'd all vanished years ago - I certainly never saw any during the years I took my children to playgrounds.
Then found this one just before lockdown last year.

(Location: Admirals Walk / Ellis Road, Old Coulsdon. Not far from Farthing Downs, which is on the 'Fridays' route from London to Brighton).
Edited to update the address and add a google maps link
1621929971975.png

1621930109430.png

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
An eye, a hand ....
The only accident I remember was bouncing stolen detonators against a wall and the idiot caught it on the way down when it exploded in his hand. Lost 2 fingers. There was a small coal mine near the school and security was a bit lax so it was easy to nip in and pinch some. That was Maddiston near Falkirk. The annual Miner's Gala was a big event but the mine is obviously long closed now.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I worked for a few months at a Jugendfarm in Stuttgart, which is a bit like a city farm but here is more a supervised playground. It includes a "hut village" where kids can build a hut out of wood. This has a "city wall", which is a 2m high catwalk, with no fences, generally built and repaired by the children.
In eight months only one child fell off.

Not child related specifically, but, on a visit to Sweden, I noticed when driving out of town, there was (is?) a well used railway line running alongside the road, through an urban area. The line was unfenced. I cannot imagine such a situation in the area I live, without dire consequences.

"Rocking horse" is such a gentle name. How misleading.
Evil nags!!

I assumed they'd all vanished years ago - I certainly never saw any during the years I took my children to playgrounds.
Then found this one just before lockdown last year.

(Location: Old Coulsdon/Admirals Walk. Not far from Farthing Downs, which is on the 'Fridays' route from London to Brighton).

View attachment 590494
View attachment 590495
Yep that's essentially the horrifying beast, though on ours i think the lost head was originally the same casting as the body.
Am as amazed as you that such things are still around.
May check out on my coulsdon rides.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
The only accident I remember was bouncing stolen detonators against a wall and the idiot caught it on the way down when it exploded in his hand. Lost 2 fingers. There was a small coal mine near the school and security was a bit lax so it was easy to nip in and pinch some. That was Maddiston near Falkirk. The annual Miner's Gala was a big event but the mine is obviously long closed now.
Sounds like a cousin of mine; as a child he and his mates stole some detonators from a lineside railway hut. Took them back home and into the garden shed .... and rushed to hospital a few minutes later with 1 and half fingers obliterated.

His hand remains a far better message to stay away from railways than the infamous 'Robbie' film.

Top Bottom