Toys of your youth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1621890201775.png

Profpointy

Legendary Member
View attachment 590467

Not this exact one (think mine had a lot more bits in there), the stuff you got in there though, wow, hours and hours and hours of fun.

I was seriously into chemistry as a kid, inspired by an utterly brilliant book we had in Junior school. I never had a chemistry set per se, but bought test tubes and other bits and bobs from a lab supplier and various chemicals from the chemist, and even for my dad to vouch for my buying conc hydrochloric acid. The quantities in the sets were cery small but you could buy top up chemicals in little test tubes in toy shops. The quantities from the lab supplier were too large and hence too costly. Kept up my enthusiasm till A level then somehow ended up doing maths at uni.

sooo

WHY has no-one mentioned Johnny Seven???

massive sieges relieved with my mate (who generally holed up in the hall behind the table

clearly had to have occasional truces to gather ammo

and clearly - as mentioned above - the amazing and TOTALLY SAFE space hopper - especially in the hands of boys - no problems whatsoever

and my Mamod traction engine is in the garage as I speak - fired it up about a year ago - still works!!!!

and then - there was a go-kart - weird pedals that went back and forth and drove the rear wheels via rods - if you locked you knees you would lock the rear wheel and could under steer around the corner at the bottom of the hill around our house
or die - it was kinda close
I remember that I got it on my Seventh birthday - it had a number plate on the front that said 7

anyway - I was the only person who could control the thing
sad day when the rod broke

Then I got to an age where I could have a bike that could go on the road
My Mum and Dad got me a Raleigh Elite
I remember buying it - made sense - seemed reasonable
weighed about the same as a main battle tank - I could just about get up the hills to my mates' houses by puching it up the last half

Then
$deity be praised
They realised I couldn;t go anywhere without pushing the damn thing and got me a Peugeot 10 speed purple gift of the Gods
I could get up ANYTHING on that
and did
if it was on the Wirral I rode up it

THAT was the highlight of my childhood!!!!!!

some k**bhead nicked it from my garage many years later
the leather saddle had grown up with my frame and skeleton from early teeneagehood to adult and I will never find anything like it

anyway - add me to the votes for Lego

And Cars - not the film - Corgi, Dinky and matchbox!!

The talk of sieges reminded me of this:
1621896213645.png

I don't think this is the edition I remember playing. At least I don't remember the weird minotaur and whatever that is on the right hand side.

Hero Quest was popular too, despite being one of the worst board games imaginable. Painting the miniatures was fun, but I never managed to make mine not look terrible, though.

Also, obviously LEGO, before it became all pop-culture themed sets.

Lego wars were fun, one time my friend created a fortified base so I countered him with an aircraft carrier and strategic bomber, on a bombing run I accidentally let go and on impact my bomber shattered. Since then all of my lego creations are made to be as sturdy as possible and are subject to drop tests. I still do this, more than 30 years later.

Also elastic band wars. The more bands tied together, the more range, power and accuracy. I could hit the head of a nail from 20 feet away with a 5-bander. I'm surprised no-one lost an eye.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
1621897632230.png

I wasn't into Subbuteo. It's a world wide recognised football game,but i just couldn't accept a ball being as big as the players!:laugh:

Instead i had 'Striker',with acceptable sized footballs, players not on silly bases and even...... diving goalkeepers!! :becool:

1621899375353.png

https://www.vintage-playtime.com/vintage_board_games/prod_2820657-Super-Striker-Game.html

Not happy with the 'boring' players strips, i bought extra teams and painted them in well known clubs kits. I'll always remember painting my teams up in the kits of those countries taking part in the 1974 World Cup finals.:smile:

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
View attachment 590481
I wasn't into Subbuteo. It's a world wide recognised football game,but i just couldn't accept a ball being as big as the players!:laugh:

Instead i had 'Striker',with acceptable sized footballs, players not on silly bases and even...... diving goalkeepers!! :becool:

View attachment 590483
https://www.vintage-playtime.com/vintage_board_games/prod_2820657-Super-Striker-Game.html

Not happy with the 'boring' players strips, i bought extra teams and painted them in well known clubs kits. I'll always remember painting my teams up in the kits of those countries taking part in the 1974 World Cup finals.:smile:
Forgot that one, it was actually quite good

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I was seriously into chemistry as a kid, inspired by an utterly brilliant book we had in Junior school. I never had a chemistry set per se, but bought test tubes and other bits and bobs from a lab supplier and various chemicals from the chemist, and even for my dad to vouch for my buying conc hydrochloric acid. The quantities in the sets were cery small but you could buy top up chemicals in little test tubes in toy shops. The quantities from the lab supplier were too large and hence too costly. Kept up my enthusiasm till A level then somehow ended up doing maths at uni.
When I was in primary school I made gunpowder. It was easy and cheap to get the basic chemicals then.

Your climbing frame reminds me of another playground favourite, the Witch's Hat.
Supposedly banned due to 'crush injuries'.
View attachment 590408

Edited to add: Not sure it's the fondest memory; I just remember clinging on for dear life.
yep - my local playground had one of those - kids hardly ever spun it - just did the bumps. Same place had a truly terrifying rocking (bucking the way the kids used it) horse thing. Its nose was broken off due to a serious buck in the past. All on a concrete base of course. Even as a kid I was surprised that such things were allowed.

Top Bottom