Toys of your youth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I had quite a few Action Man uniforms,the deep sea diver being one of them. I don't remember him having a shark though. I suppose the one here is much later than my mid to late 1960's one and they added the shark then. Was it friend or foe i wonder?🤔

1621881989370.png

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
I must be an older generation as most toys in wartime were home made. Everything seemed to have a "season" which came round every year.
Kites were made from bamboo cane and newspaper stuck down with flour paste.
Marbles of course had their season and about the month of June we always played Sticks and Stones in the school playground. This was a version of noughts and crosses played in the dust.
We also made explosive devices from two bolts and one nut with some match heads until the heidy confiscated those he found. He never got mine as I saw him coming and it was not in my pockets when ordered to turn them out.
Peashooters were made from plant stalks and barley was the preferred missile.
Too many to mention them all.

You missed out spud gun:evil::evil:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Born 1947, my recollection of "toys" I had (up to age 16) are:

Clockwork "O" gauge Hornby Train set
Tricycle (don't remember make)
Meccano
Bako (think that is how it was spelled), it was a sort of precursor to Lego, but, less flexible
"00" gauge Hornby electric train-set
Various cap guns, spud guns etc
Various "playground games" the names of which I forget, but "Chucks" is one I recall, and, a similar one (still available) with small metal Covid like objects, and a small rubber ball, also whip and tops.
Various Bicycles, self build from bits. scrounged from various. sources
Various Bows and arrows (home made)
Airfix kits various
Various Balsa wood gliders and Elastic powered model airplanes
Hercules Bicycle (new)
Dawes Bicycle (secondhand) don't recall model, it had tartan motif on seat tube
Francis Barnet 2-stroke Motorcycle (very second-hand)

The Motorcycle was the end of childhood, after that, alcohol, cigarettes, girls, and cars took over. :smile:

I was recently having, what I call a "Hovis Conversation" (ie "when I were a lad... etc) with one of my grandsons, telling him of typical Christmas present (note singular) in my childhood, typical was, an apple (the fruit, not an electronic gadget), an orange and one "big" item from the list above. I don't think he believed me. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
1621883147029.png

I had one of these - a Raleigh Tomahawk, the cheaper version of the Chopper. No gears. I remember going down a long hill and the handlebars started wobbling violently before whipping round 180 degrees and throwing me off. I lost most of the skin off my left leg and hip.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My dad made me and bro' many of these.

1621883043308.png

He also made us a castle and a 'wild west' fort. They were made from wood,unlike the shop bought cheapo plastic ones. He made them at work in his lunch break. They'd take months to make,but they were so well made.

I remember him coming home one day with a Roman Empire/ army style catapult,about 2 foot by 1 foot. It launched missiles like billyo!!:laugh:

View attachment 590439
I had one of these - a Raleigh Tomahawk, the cheaper version of the Chopper. No gears. I remember going down a long hill and the handlebars started wobbling violently before whipping round 180 degrees and throwing me off. I lost most of the skin off my left leg and hip.

I had an odd childhood between 4 and 12, in a very weahtly town in a fairly poor area: I remember my best friend who came from the "other" side of town had a chopper, but this was the late 1980's and by then a 70's chopper was were seen as very naff by the MTB riding kids all around...

Top Bottom