Toys of your youth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Steam engine like this

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I must be an older generation as most toys in wartime were home made. Everything seemed to have a "season" which came round every year.
Kites were made from bamboo cane and newspaper stuck down with flour paste.
Marbles of course had their season and about the month of June we always played Sticks and Stones in the school playground. This was a version of noughts and crosses played in the dust.
We also made explosive devices from two bolts and one nut with some match heads until the heidy confiscated those he found. He never got mine as I saw him coming and it was not in my pockets when ordered to turn them out.
Peashooters were made from plant stalks and barley was the preferred missile.
Too many to mention them all.

Mrs M

Guru
Cluedo, Mousetrap, Monopoly, brother’s action men, Lego.
Loved my toy speedboats which I used to put in the pond at the local park and pull along on string :blush:
Also the combined climbing frame, slideshoot, fireman’s pole and bridge, spent lots of time there, plus the swings.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Cluedo, Mousetrap, Monopoly, brother’s action men, Lego.
Loved my toy speedboats which I used to put in the pond at the local park and pull along on string :blush:
Also the combined climbing frame, slideshoot, fireman’s pole and bridge, spent lots of time there, plus the swings.
That does remind me we also had toy speed boats made from sardine tins by German POW's and steam powered by meths.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Had many toys but these were a favourite at around 13 years old, a Davies Charlton diesel motor and a 7x6 propeller.
1621879617142.png

Moved onto control line much later so early efforts were a home made flat bottom plywood hull with a motor mount at the back. This was taken to the boating lake in the park which our creation crossed at considerable speed taking out Walter the Softy's lovely sailing yacht in the process. Happy days.

Last edited:
Top Bottom