Toys R US Bargain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vitesse

Toys R Us is offering an alloy frame 'racing bike' in their sale for £49. It may be c**p, but if just a cheap pair of 700C tyres costs about £15, this seems like an incredible deal. Anyone bought one, and is it U/S in the other sense?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If you count the number of individual componants on a bike, many of which have to be made to precice engineering standards in order to work efficiently, I think you can safely say that your Toys R Us "bargain" will be an unrideable heap of shoot within 250 miles.

And 250 miles is being optimistic.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Jesus. This one I guess..

£49 Road bike

I can't comment, I can't imagine it's any good but it's almost worth a punt just to try it out as a cheap commuter and see how long it stands the abuse.

Decathlon do- or did- a cheap road bike with downtube shifters (around the £120 mark I think), a poster on another forum -probably ACF- bought one and posted a review and a few updates. I think he was relatively happy with it as a budget commuter, unfortunately it was stolen after a while so it never became a long-term test.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I'm not suggesting you buy it tho', just that it would be interesting to find out what it's like. My best guess is that it would be shite.

OP
OP
V

Vitesse

Seems to me that even if it only managed 250 miles, £49 is still pretty good value compared to a train ticket. The same distance in an economical car will cost £25. And as not all of your BSO will be worn out, the rest can be used for spares. Halfords asks a fiver for an inner tube and a tenner for a 700C tyre that wears out in less than 1000 miles.

kyuss

Veteran
Vitesse said:
Seems to me that even if it only managed 250 miles, £49 is still pretty good value compared to a train ticket.

That depends on what breaks first. 20mph+ downhill and a wheel falls apart or the brakes snap, you'll be hitting the deck pretty hard or going under a car and spending a lot more than £49 on some new teeth. Not such a bargain then. Don't do it, it'll be a crap ride, no fun at all and a bloody death trap.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
On the plus side, nobody would want to nick it:biggrin:

Just had a look (curiosity;)) and it would seem that they're out of stock. At that price all the components are likely to be made of a substance closely resembling cheese (not sure about the frame). As its a 12 speed the rear hub may be a screw on (limited choice/availability/gearing) 6 cog, with an OLN/drop out width too narrow to upgrade to an 8/9 speed hub (ally chain-stays are 'difficult' to re-set wider. The tyres are an unknown quantity, but likely to be made of something like chewing-gum mixed with dried dog jobbies, if you want 'cheapo' tyres have a look in WILKOS(Wilkinsons) I'll bet they'll be better. Bear in mind that Toys R Us (from what I hear and see) have a worse record than Halfords regarding bike assembly.

shimano

This may be what's called a 'loss leader' in the trade ie it gets people through the doors and even if they don't buy the bike which may be a genuine bargain chances are they'll buy something else just 'cos they're there. 'course it may genuinely be a racer worth £49 in which case rather you than me...

Top Bottom