Toys R US Bargain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
if you're on a budget an you've goosed your frame…

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We have a Toys'r'us bike shaped object in our collection... we bought it before we knew anything about bikes, for my daughter - we allowed her to choose - so of course she choose a dual suspension BSO. We have since offered to buy her a new bike ... but apparently she likes this one. (I'm still looking out for one to tempt her - she doesn't ride much - basically when we do family rides but it probably has to be a trendy PINK!!! for a teenager).

Its very very heavy, and when we have tried to adjust brakes, or anything, its impossible. We have contemplated upgrading bits but honestly there isn't one bit of it that I wouldn't replace so its not worth it. For example the screws that adjust the brakes are very flimsy and loose, the bearings went in one wheel probably within 50 to 100 miles.

I'd say don't touch it - I wish I'd had the benifit of hindsight. (The only thing I don't regret about buying it, was it was the first time I had access to a bike that I could ride, and that's when I discovered that I enjoyed riding a bike ... so I guess I'm not sad that we bought it).

Maz

Guru
Yorkshireman said:
Bear in mind that Toys R Us ...
I normally have a bear in mind when I go to Toys R Us.

Remember that TOYS R US is an anagram of SO RUSTY.

Nuff sed.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Don't think all these posts knocking a product because it is cheap are correct. I've bought an 18speed MTB off Parkers of Bolton for £40 + postage and did not expect much but worth a punt. It arrived with a puncture in rear tyre. However I repaired it, greased and oiled parts that were bone dry, adjusted brakes, stripped bottom bracket and packed with grease [dry again]. It is an aliminium frame with dropouts for guards and rack. Done about 250 pleasant miles [on and of road] with no problems and seems like there is a lot more life in it yet. I've had less problems with the gears on this than I have had with my £600 road bike! These things are knocked out on the same CNC machinery that is used in the aerospace industry [I know I work in that arena]. So it might be cheap ali but specs will be ok. Main problem is inaccurate assembly and little or no lubricants. The wheels and tyres alone are worth the money. Oil grease adjust and tighten should be ok. Must be some BSI standard somewhere that they are built to or these sellers are chancing liability claims?

Jim

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Very well written and interesting article.
I guess there is no need for a link to it on the 'my Advice for Newbies' thread, as, if they are reading it, they're not going to get a BSO..... are they ????

OP
OP
V

Vitesse

A little birdie told me that a few years ago 'mountain bikes' were being dumped for about $12 a piece, delivered to the UK.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I once knew somebody who bought one of these for £99. She asked me to adjust the gears as they weren't working too well. After an frustrating hour I gave up; the gears couldn't be made to adjust because they were rubbish. The bike weighed a ton and in the end she never rode it, it just lay rusting in the shed.

stopher83

Talking about cheap bike that go the distance. I had one bought for me when i was about 16 and it lasted nearly 8 years without any problems what so ever! a pedal fell off but that is going to happen with long use.

The only reason i dont still have it is because some nicked the little fella.

http://www.uk-cycling.org

Night Train

Maker of Things
I've just been to Toys R Us to have a look at it.

It is pretty bad. Everything looks like stamped metal that hasn't been deburred before being shown the chrome effect finish. The rear tyre was off the rim and the tube looked like it was 8" too long as there was a 4" section that had been doubled over to shorten it.
The chain rings were riveted together with big 'cheese' head rivets to look like bolts and the nylock nuts holding the brakes to the frame didn't look concentric. I lifted it up and it must have weighed as much as my Marin Hawkhill MTB with lights and lock still on it.

There was a sticker on it saying that it wasn't suitable for racing.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
bigjim said:
...It arrived with a puncture in rear tyre...I repaired it, greased and oiled parts that were bone dry, adjusted brakes, stripped bottom bracket and packed with grease [dry again]...Main problem is inaccurate assembly and little or no lubricants...

Isn't that the point?

Top Bottom