Toys R US Bargain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Night Train said:
There was a sticker on it saying that it wasn't suitable for racing.

Well you were told..............

I had a mate that broke about 3 or 4 cheap Raleigh's as his winter bike - he was a 10 stone lad - not big, but kept cracking frames..... kept him in new winter bikes for a year or two though !!!!! :biggrin:

I did have a good Raleigh Road Ace 531c that was brill at the same time - the cranks and brake callipers are still on my Ribble !

Night Train said:
I've just been to B&Q to have a look at it.

It is pretty bad. Everything looks like stamped metal that hasn't been deburred before being shown the chrome effect finish. The rear tyre was off the rim and the tube looked like it was 8" too long as there was a 4" section that had been doubled over to shorten it.
The chain rings were riveted together with big 'cheese' head rivets to look like bolts and the nylock nuts holding the brakes to the frame didn't look concentric. I lifted it up and it must have weighed as much as my Marin Hawkhill MTB with lights and lock still on it.

There was a sticker on it saying that it wasn't suitable for racing.

Not much good for 'posing' then (even if you got the stickers off)? :biggrin:

gbb

Legendary Member
I cant find the one in the link at all, but a guy at work brought a 700c alloy racer from Toys R Us a few weeks ago...
Tourney rear mech, downtube shifters, red and silver frame, cost about £100 at that time...is that the one ?

I gave it a once over when he punctured it....:biggrin:

The tyres are INCREDIBLY heavy. They seem about 5 mm thick...wierd :biggrin:
The innertubes are awful, with schraeder valves.
The wheel cones were too tight, and given a little time, they'll eat the bearings.
Everything about it is cheap and nasty.

If i had £50 to spend, i'd rather get an old Raleigh. Hell, people give them away sometimes.
I had a Carlton Continental given to me a few years ago. It had sat in his garage for years. It gave me about 4 years of flawless cycling. It didnt look brilliant (it didnt look that bad either ;) ) but i know which i'd rather have :biggrin:
I gave it away myself after i'd finished with it....it was still going well then.

Top Bottom