Tracking a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

Anyone able to suggest any inexpensive way of tracking a bike while it's in use?
Wanting a fairly fit and forget solution, happy to zip tie a small item to it for the purpose.

Basically, when Black Ewe is on a triathlon it would be helpful (and reassuring) to be able to see where she is on the course so that myself and Black Lamb can, where possible, get ahead of her to cheer her on.

any ideas / suggestions?

si_c

Guru
I'd suggest Garmin's live track or Strava beacon but both require a phone.

Maybe a spot tracker?

Reactions: C R
If everyone was doing this then imagine the traffic on the roads.

It's pretty easy to work out what time you'll be places in a triathlon so either get there before the cyclists or just wait in transition. The riders don't want to have to worry about more traffic.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
If everyone was doing this then imagine the traffic on the roads.

It's pretty easy to work out what time you'll be places in a triathlon so either get there before the cyclists or just wait in transition. The riders don't want to have to worry about more traffic.

I won't be in a vehicle, simply able to see her leave the first transition and, if the course allows, get to a half way point to cheer her on and then get to the second transition ahead of her while ensuring myself and Black Lamb don't freeze our toes off stood out in the cold waiting.

Could you not simply track her mobile phone?

She's not got her phone when out on Tri but is during training rides.

Most races have the same transition zone.

Theoretically you could put a mobile phone in the saddlepack and use findmyphone or whatsapp to track ?

OP
OP
Black Sheep
The couple of races she's done have been a split transition using different zones.

Being able to nip to the loo, grab a coffee or grab something to eat without missing her going past is what I'm aiming for.
I was hoping on something a bit more fit and forget than popping a phone in a saddle pack

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
The couple of races she's done have been a split transition using different zones.

Being able to nip to the loo, grab a coffee or grab something to eat without missing her going past is what I'm aiming for.
I was hoping on something a bit more fit and forget than popping a phone in a saddle pack

As far as I am aware, all available tracking devices require power, so, at the very least, "regular" charging (usually via a USB lead), will be needed, so, that limits the "forget" bit. ;)

But, a small tracking device, such as those suggested above by @newfhouse, fixed (say) under saddle, and periodically recharged, are probably as near as you will get to fit and forget.

Low tech alternatives: carry a flask, wear a nappy, probably not very practical? ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom