Tracks you hate on albums you love

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A neighbour back at my mum and dad's house about 1979/80,played the Bat Out Of Hell LP very loud about 3 times a day. She lived across the street and had her windows open so we could all listen to it,whether we liked it or not.:rolleyes:
I know a lot of people liked that album, but what is it about playing it several times a day - didn't they have any other albums!

I used to play my albums a lot but I had over 100 at one time so it was rare for a particular one to get played more than 2 or 3 times a week, and very rare to get played twice in one day...

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Walk of Life on Brothers in Arms.
It really annoys me that So Far away from me never appeared on the greatest hits album. When it’s far superior to walk of life.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I listed Simon & Garfunkel's Bookends as an all killer no filler album... it's the one I've played most from the S&G box set i picked up years ago, but listening to it last night, the opening track; Save the life of my child is, from a production point of view more than anything, bloody awful.... those panoramic meandering vocal wailings that fade in over the chorus and get far too loud for far too long results in an almost comical psychedelic effect. This is crapadelic over-production that has everything including the kitchen sink ...what were they thinking? It's more to be sniggered at than hated, and it does soon lead into America, and song so perfect in every way that the woeful Save The Life of My Child soon slips from ones thoughts.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I listed Simon & Garfunkel's Bookends as an all killer no filler album... it's the one I've played most from the S&G box set i picked up years ago, but listening to it last night, the opening track; Save the life of my child is, from a production point of view more than anything, bloody awful.... those panoramic meandering vocal wailings that fade in over the chorus and get far too loud for far too long results in an almost comical psychedelic effect. This is crapadelic over-production that has everything including the kitchen sink ...what were they thinking? It's more to be sniggered at than hated, and it does soon lead into America, and song so perfect in every way that the woeful Save The Life of My Child soon slips from ones thoughts.

I think they must have been indulged at that time - they were also allowed the quite bizarre, for a youth-oriented 'pop' record, 'Voices of old people'. I can always hear that angry, embittered voice: 'God forgive me, but an old person without money is pathetic.'

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I like Maxwell's Silver Hammer. Always have, but Octopuses Garden and Yellow Submarine have me reaching for the 'next' button.

The one that gets to me is The Red Weed on Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds album. It leads in the Phil Lynott Parson bit, which I do love. I skip The Red Weed as it's horrible.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Octopuses Garden and Yellow Submarine have to be taken in context with the wide range of the Beatle's work. They could switch from basic R&R to highly complex lyrics and arrangements in a way that no other band before or since has ever done. Both the above songs could be classed as children's sing a longs but that just shows the extent of their talents.

The same could of course be said of the Harrison track I mentioned above, but I still hate it.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Octopuses Garden and Yellow Submarine have to be taken in context with the wide range of the Beatle's work. They could switch from basic R&R to highly complex lyrics and arrangements in a way that no other band before or since has ever done. Both the above songs could be classed as children's sing a longs but that just shows the extent of their talents.

The same could of course be said of the Harrison track I mentioned above, but I still hate it.

View: https://youtu.be/nOHjhYyCJbE

The Beatles were so high they even let Ringo sing a couple of tunes. :laugh:

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Both the above songs could be classed as children's sing a longs but that just shows the extent of their talents.
Or possibly it shows what happens when you get so big no-one dares say hang on a minute lads...

The Beatles were so high they even let Ringo sing a couple of tunes. :laugh:
When you say 'sing'...

For my money the real toe-stubber on Revolver is not Yellow Submarine, gruesome though that is, but the actively hateful Taxman - George's heart-rending account of the injustices heaped on the immensely wealthy.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Got to disagree with the Pink Floyd and Dire Straits selections; although I'm not a huge affiicando of the latter so maybe these tracks aren't so good in comparison to their less-charty offerings.

For some reason I always skip "Safe From Harm" at the beginning of Massive Attack's Blue Lines, likewise not a fan of the "Light My Fire" cover at the end of Protection, which I think is a bit of a weak track especially to end on considering the top-shelf nature of the rest of the album.

I always skip "Disgustpated" on Tool's Undertow too.. can't think of any more tbh as I rarely listen to albums now!

Top Bottom