Traffic - It's Back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al78

Guru
I suspect it is because your commute doesn't end in another town, nor is it routed along a rat run used by folk coming to and from the A23. What, for instance, is the longest regular traffic queue on your commute?

course it could be different riding styles too.

There isn't a regular traffic queue on my commute, closest I get is traffic sometimes backs up at the roundabout immediately before the Tesco roundabout on the A281.

I have to use a couple of miles of the A281 which can get busy as it is the main road to Guildford however there are some decent straight sections where it is easy for drivers to overtake cyclists, and there is a layby I can pull in to if there is a significant queue building behind me.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
There isn't a regular traffic queue on my commute, closest I get is traffic sometimes backs up at the roundabout immediately before the Tesco roundabout on the A281.

I have to use a couple of miles of the A281 which can get busy as it is the main road to Guildford however there are some decent straight sections where it is easy for drivers to overtake cyclists, and there is a layby I can pull in to if there is a significant queue building behind me.
A272 is usually nose to tail from outskirts of Cuckfield to centre of Haywards Heath during term time. People get very frustrated and cyclists (and I'm not alone, three of us ride in from the 'sham) are a 'soft' target to vent their frustrations on, especially when dropping the kids off at school has taken longer than expected, their late and they need to get to, say, Uckfield.

This morning 'my' roadworks were backing up all from Cuckfield Village centre to the temporary lights and folk were getting v. frustrated. I was, of course, heading the other way and thus spared the honking. Though chummy did pass me on the way home last night.

I suspect another factor is simply Surrey. Or at least your part of it. Folk round there are used to cyclists. The network of lanes keeps you off the main roads and there are several alternatives. Round here there is less route choice, cyclists are an endangered species, though numbers are on the increase, and more conflict as a result.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Lots more traffic this morning. Backed up near home and huge queue's on Pallatine Road in Northenden. Oh Mr driver, see me filtering on the outside, and then positioning your car 'over' the white line to stop me won't work - I still came past - I hope you get to work before lunch ! :evil:

I was also a little naughty, clipped a wing mirror with my knuckle this morning - oops !

SomethingLikeThat

Über Member
I agree. I wouldn't let my 5 and 7 year old kids walk to school on their own (the missus walks them). I despair when I see the Mums on my street taking their kids to the local Primary school. F'Gawds sake, it's less than 200 yards away, but the fat Mums take their fat (or soon to be fat) kids in the car.
They complain about the busy roads and the car fumes as reasons why they don't walk their kids to school, but they fail to see that by driving they're part of the problem!

Gatley lass

Über Member
Lots more traffic this morning. Backed up near home and huge queue's on Pallatine Road in Northenden. Oh Mr driver, see me filtering on the outside, and then positioning your car 'over' the white line to stop me won't work - I still came past - I hope you get to work before lunch ! :evil:

I was also a little naughty, clipped a wing mirror with my knuckle this morning - oops !

Palatine Road was nasty today. I met a fellow cyclist and we debated which side of the traffic to go then plumped for the outside. Always drivers hugging either the left or right of the lane!
Still very satisfying to pass it all some how.

subaqua

What’s the point
A11 from Leytonstone to stratford was absolutely mental today. 07.45, walking with eldest to her new school as its on my walk to stratford tube ( not using bike today as drinkies tonight with work :smile: ) and we thought we would catch the bus . mistake. after getting less than a 1/4 of the way we got off and walked and still beat it !! queue from harrow green all the way past Broadway.

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
My word isn't the traffic back? I've started biking to work after moving over the summer. The last few weeks have been a lush illusion of "this isn't so bad, can't see what the big deal is, why haven't I been cycling in the morning more often". After this morning though, that dream has been soundly quashed!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Left at 7:10 this morning. In the office by 08:00 and, apart from the usual percentage of lousy overtakes, all but the last 2km were enjoyable, and most of the last 2km can be done "traffic free" free so that's my bads for sticking with the traffic queue choked road.

A BMW series 5 driver flashed me to turn right across him. I was sceptical he might then accelerate and try to kill me if I took the bait, but no, he was sincere. Quite made my morning.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
It's possible they are dropping the kids off en-route to somewhere else and thus it is more time efficient to do this than walk the kids to school, walk back then drive to wherever they were ultimately going.

Not the woman across the road. She takes 'little' Connor to school in a morning, returning 5 mins later. The she fetches him home for dinner, takes him back, and then picks him up at 3.30. Mind you, she also drives to the local shop.....and when I say local, I mean it's about 150 yards away. Then she comes back, and carries a bottle of milk into the house!

Flyingfox

Still quiet on my route from SE London, passed the usual queues of traffic trying to get through the Rotherhithe Tunnel tonight though.

Top Bottom