Traffic light phase duration too short.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
The duration of the traffic lights seems inadequately short at a local T-Junction that's uphill, I believe this is technically termed the "Intergreen Period".

Occasionally, when I ride over this hump backed bridge from these lights, the vehicles at the other side of the T-Junction have started moving. Obviously, this is a very unsafe situation.

I've written to the local council about this matter.

Gov Doc.
"Intergreens must be measured carefully when configuring a junction as one that is too short can mean traffic from the previous stage is still clearing the junction when the next stage starts."

Church%20Lane%20Traffic%20Lights_zpsqwotjxd9.png

Lights at hump backed bridge.

wormo

Guru
I use this route a lot, and you do have to be a bit sharpish. As long as a green when I go through, don't worry about it. Still more time than Brian Bevan Island or Bridgefoot.

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
I use this route a lot, and you do have to be a bit sharpish. As long as a green when I go through, don't worry about it. Still more time than Brian Bevan Island or Bridgefoot.

I don't think I'm capable of being "a bit sharpish" after a long day's ride. :blush:

Don't write a letter, complain on a reporting website that the interval is dangerously short. Any whiff of risk or blame will have the engineers out pronto.
Done. :okay:
https://www.warrington.gov.uk/homepage/500/report_a_problem

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There is a similar problem on Hallroyd Road in Todmorden. It is a nice way of avoiding the town centre but it is a steepish climb up to the lights which control access to the singletrack road over the railway bridge that you can see in the photo.

Hallroyd Rd traffic lights.jpg

It is bad enough if you can time your approach to arrive while the lights are green but if you have stopped and unclipped then it can be really hard to clip back in and get moving again before the lights turn back to red.

Drago

Legendary Member
The carncil responsible will have a fault reporting system on their website, often called Street Doctor or something similarly trite. Report it there.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
We don't. And as @ColinJ can testify, the roads round these parts are excellent
I lost my bike in a pothole in a local road once. I borrowed some ropes and abseiled down to retrieve it! :laugh:

Globalti

Legendary Member
GtiJ once dented a rim on a pothole and we had to spend £50 on a rebuild. More out of principle than anything we claimed from Lancashire CC. Months later we received an A4 envelope containing a thick wad of copies of all the defect reports from the last few months, along with a letter that said: "As you can see this defect was never reported. Since it was never reported, LCC can't be held responsible. Sorry. See you in Court if you care to contest."

I reckon that letter cost them more than £50 to produce.

Top Bottom