Trailer hitch?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On the principle that the only thing stupid about a question is not asking it so I remain stupid ... are there likely to be any issues with fitting a trailer hitch attachment thingie to the axle of a 20" wheel with hub gears? I need to be able to do a 'proper shop' by bike and the only way is going to be a trailer.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
No problem that I can see. Just make sure the nut is fully tightened and it goes fully on to the thread with some axle poking through the other side of it you good. Take bungees they can be handy.

No problem that I can see. Just make sure the nut is fully tightened and it goes fully on to the thread with some axle poking through the other side of it you good. Take bungees they can be handy.
Can't comment on trailers as I'm no expert on them, but on bungees I would advise adjustable bungees and/or Rokstraps

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KnittyNorah

Über Member
The thing will have a secure cover one way or the other; stuff bounces out of my basket in front of my eyes so I can imagine all my shopping would have disappeared from a trailer by the time I got home, without any help at all from human agencies! Yesterday I lost two cuttings of a very nice variegated ivy that someone tidying up their garden gave me but fortunately I still have a couple left. A cheap-ish or 2nd hand trailer will soon pay for itself when going to Lidl, which is about 3 miles away by 'the back way' which is decent-ish tracks and quiet lanes. There'll be a few spots where I'll need to push, for manoeuvring mainly, but I don't mind that.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Cheap trailer is the only thing I have ever bought from Cycle King (they make Halfords look like a formula one team) but the trailer is light and last about ten years so far.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
No all metal with canvas liner and it folds with detachable wheels. Still going strong. It was less than £80 I seem to remember.

OP
OP
K

KnittyNorah

Über Member
No all metal with canvas liner and it folds with detachable wheels. Still going strong. It was less than £80 I seem to remember.
Ah, they don't have anything like that on their website now. I might have found a 2nd hand Halfords child trailer - apparently still has its box - for a bargain price, which I am sure will carry my shopping just as easily as a child, but I can't contact the seller until Tues or Weds next week as they're away.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
That should do the trick nicely.

OP
OP
K

KnittyNorah

Über Member
Yes, I've been looking at a folding version of that type of trailer. Unfortunately I do need something that will fold - or at least has quick-release wheels to store in the trailer bed - due to lack of storage space. I'm not buying anything until I've spoken with the seller of the kid's trailer.

Slightly off topic - but how many different methods of attaching a trailer are there?

some seem to attache to the axle - some clamp to the seat post or something. Has anyone a link of a sensible article showing how they work and which is best?

Thanks

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I've seen a hitch welded to a stay on a steel frame before. There are quite a few options I believe although the welded one appealed purely as it is attach and forget thing with no faffing when you need the trailer on.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Yes, I've been looking at a folding version of that type of trailer. Unfortunately I do need something that will fold - or at least has quick-release wheels to store in the trailer bed - due to lack of storage space. I'm not buying anything until I've spoken with the seller of the kid's trailer.
That one does fold flat the wheels come off and the trailer arm folds back in it's self, for the price you won't get anything better.

Top Bottom