Trailer project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Finally got off my butt and started work on my cargo trailer project. Here are some of the ingredients ready to go.

WP_20170313_15_37_25_Pro.jpg

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The ply has been cut to size, and I've started to varnish it.

I've made a spar of 2x2 to run up the centre underneath the platform. Heavy, but the whole project is made from scrap, and it'll still be nowhere near as heavy as a 5 year old sprog and all our picnic paraphernalia.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Looks good. I presume you're butchering an old kiddy carrier by the looks of it? I fettled a trailer from an old one I picked up for free. I was particularly pleased with the hitch attachment, using a sort of ball and joint socket thing, makes it really easy to attach and unhitch. I'll post a picture when I've got chance. Cars give a wide berth when I'm towing it.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Aye laddie. My lass is finally too tall for her much loved and much used Spokey Joe trailer. We have some brilliant memories though. Yes, so, anyway, I'm pinching the frame and the hitch, which is the flexible spring type that clips to a mount that bolts under the rear axle.

I've just building a flat deck to begin with, but may fit a large plastic box or crate at some point.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The Bikes at Work gear is amazing. IIRC one of their trailers extends to different lengths as required, and the wheels clip into different positions accordingly.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
And it's finished...

WP_20170315_13_40_32_Pro.jpg

The reinforcing spar on the underside is screwed on and bonded with Sikaflex for good measure. The whole lot is much lighter and more rigid than I'd expected.

I retained the corner lugs. Was tempted to grind them off but decided they'd be handy attachment points for bungees.

Top Bottom