Trailers & 'BWSOW's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We've been to look at the possible new compound this morning, it's further away, but "hey-ho!"
I've got to return their paperwork, & show them the requested documentation, so will probably take that in the morning

Then, maybe move the 'van on Friday morning??
That’s ridiculous opening hours, who on earth can pick up between 11 & 3 on a Friday when working , then be back again between 11 & 3 on a Sunday, that’s not my idea of a relaxing weekend, definitely better off moving it

I've just come back from the new site, & let them have/photocopy the paperwork they requested
Got my 'pass', & provisionally arranged to take the BWSOW over on Friday AM, being there when Chris opens at 11:00
I'll have to ring him a bit later, & have a conversation

D

Deleted member 26715

Wiring
Unless things have changed a great deal, it's still a legal requirement to have an 'Audible, Or Visual Warning Device' to warn of the failure of a trailers indicator bulb
Interesting one, well to some people (maybe), I fitted a towbar to my Volvo C30 for a bike rack, bought a PF Jones manufacturer specific harness, far easier than chopping wires. Once fitted there was no audible sound, no tell tale light (although the Volvo had the symbol in the cluster) when I questioned them their claim was you had to know if a trailer indicator bulb had failed & if you had a trailer attached the system would know & if an indicator bulb had blown the normal indicator telltale would flash rapidly. I of course tested this & they were correct, just not sure if it was legal.

Alex321

Veteran
Interesting one, well to some people (maybe), I fitted a towbar to my Volvo C30 for a bike rack, bought a PF Jones manufacturer specific harness, far easier than chopping wires. Once fitted there was no audible sound, no tell tale light (although the Volvo had the symbol in the cluster) when I questioned them their claim was you had to know if a trailer indicator bulb had failed & if you had a trailer attached the system would know & if an indicator bulb had blown the normal indicator telltale would flash rapidly. I of course tested this & they were correct, just not sure if it was legal.

So long as you have an audible or visual signal that it has failed, that is legal. So, yes, that was fine.

DRM

Guru
The easiest towbar wiring by far was the loom for my old Td4 Freelander, attach the 12N socket to it's bracket, run the loom through a grommet on the boot floor and plug into connector, remove flasher unit and replace with heavy duty towing item, that has an extra spade connector, test on BWSOW, bingo, dash telltale for trailer flashes along with indicator light

The easiest towbar wiring by far was the loom for my old Td4 Freelander, attach the 12N socket to it's bracket, run the loom through a grommet on the boot floor and plug into connector, remove flasher unit and replace with heavy duty towing item, that has an extra spade connector, test on BWSOW, bingo, dash telltale for trailer flashes along with indicator light
My 110Td5 was already wired, but (from memory) I think there was a socket for it behind one of the rear (internal) lamp covers

Its predecessor, the 300Tdi Discovery had a socket, & likewise, the relay was changed
I think it had an extra pin, which sent the signal to the trailer tell-tale on the dash

DRM

Guru
My 110Td5 was already wired, but (from memory) I think there was a socket for it behind one of the rear (internal) lamp covers

Its predecessor, the 300Tdi Discovery had a socket, & likewise, the relay was changed
I think it had an extra pin, which sent the signal to the trailer tell-tale on the dash

Say what you like about Landies, but the fitting of towbars and wiring was an absolute doddle

It was indeed, with the days when they had a chassis!!!

The adjustable height set-up on my 110 ,with a towing ring on the spare slider

Sockets tucked up nicely out of the way, on the Discovery 300Tdi (it was a 50th Anniversary)

With regard to this;

We’ve just been to look at a vehicle, & put a deposit down
It’s certainly not new!!
‘55’ plate, but we have a 'private plate' on retention that can go on it (I'm sure it's still got time on the certificate)

Nothing too fancy, but ‘hefty’ enough to cope with the BWSOW, & has a good enough towing capacity

3.0 Turbo-Diesel
Automatic
4x4
Hopefully, we'll get it by next weekend
(seller has agreed to a full valet & 2 new front tyres)

We collected it about 15:00

The Touareg has had its tow-bar wire-brushed, & the 'reverse guard/guide' cut down
(that's to allow for a breakaway cable bracket to be fitted)

Getting the M16 bolts out was a struggle, thanks go to Amelias boyfriend, for his impact-gun

MM55 XUY. Towing. 2.jpg

It looks a lot better now!
MM55 XUY. Towing. 3.jpg

The 7-pin socket works fine, but we might have it rewired/replaced with a 13-pin, to allow for the charging/fridge/Al-Ko stabiliser functions
The problem is, it seems that not many companies want to just wire; 2 of the 3 I've emailed have said "No"
Still waiting for the 3rd

Unless I get a kit from Towsure, or someone & have a go myself
I've done a few in the past, but all were 'old-fashioned' type electrics (no fancy 'bypass' relays required)

The Touareg has had its tow-bar wire-brushed, & the 'reverse guard/guide' cut down
(that's to allow for a breakaway cable bracket to be fitted)

Getting the M16 bolts out was a struggle, thanks go to Amelias boyfriend, for his impact-gun

View attachment 641245

It looks a lot better now!
View attachment 641246

I’ve just re-assembled it all, the ‘Pinball Wizard’ could maybe do with some treatment?

The ball has had 12 years or so, of accumulated dirt/grease cleaned off
(I got a litre bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol, for that purpose on both cars)

59BD2F2E-8ECE-4E29-9586-F929F1D90867.jpeg

I also measured the 'ball-height' on this, & my Kodiaq

Kodiaq = 18 inch (detachable 'goose-neck')
Touareg = 17 inch (despite the seemingly higher ride-height)

Last edited:
Top Bottom